Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know further examples like this?
Hello, together with some literature and satellite Pictures i have found an Area of Minimum 5 roman Fortresses at one place. During my following researches i found also some old maps which marks this (main)Place as "Roman ruins" The main Fortress of 150x150m was surrounded by numerous buildings on all sides and a second much larger wall (400x200m) delimited some of this buildings. The area is a little bit elevated above the surrounding plain, on which an important trade route took course. Nearby (30-70km), we can find many inscriptions of several Roman legions, between 0 CE and the 3rd Century. I think it is important to tell,that there are also 4 smaller Fortresses in a circumfence of 2 kms of the Main Place.

Is there anybody who knows why the Romans built several fortresses at one place. ? Are there further examples for such?

The smaller fortresses are mainly on one line positioned, and the old maps shows additional Roman ruins in short distances to the north and south. The fortresses looks like auxiliary Fortresses or marching camps, in Front of some Gateways you can see an additional "Titulum" as it is described from hygenus gromaticus.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting!

I would say that the easiest answer would be that these forts did not exist at the same time, but were built when one of the earlier forts was abandoned or destroyed. We see that happen in more places.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(02-05-2018, 11:26 AM)jonas2017-1 Wrote: i have found an Area of Minimum 5 roman Fortresses at one place.

Looks like somewhere in the east - Syria or Mesopotamia maybe. Could you tell us the name of the location?

As Robert says, there are a few sites where multiple camps or forts from different eras are overlaid - obviously, armies tended to march along particular routes, and a good camping ground or strategic location would remain the same over the years!

The most obvious example I can think of is Ardoch in north Britain. Here is a schematic of the (probable) dates for the various fortifications. and here's a more detailed plan:

[Image: 00330029.jpg]
Nathan Ross
thanks for the quick answers, The Locality is calling "Ar Rafi'ah", the lower Plain is "Ard al Fanah", the modern Name of the main Fortress is "Khirbat al Qasab" (sometimes in old maps, also called "kasr kassam") 

I guess that this was a fortified place between 50 and 162 AD until the parthian war took place. But it is also conceivably that the place was used after this time. (maybe it was the Raphana of the Plinius's scriptures, described as the easternmost and still unidentified City of the decapolis, nearby Damaskus). It is 20mls from the Trachonitis capital Phaina, which was definitively within the Decapolis and perhaps the later base camp of this Military Units (after 165AD). (see also my other Post)
The Place is positioned along the Limes aribicus . I could also locate some earthen wall structures over 44km to the North of it along other already known limes Castles. Some old maps (1938) showing also so called "Roman trenches - or Digue Romains" in this area.  It was a strong strategic Position, because it protects some strong springs and further water ressources, and additionally it secured the way from the arabian Desert ( or for instance the parthian Seleukia-Ktesiphon) into the Roman area. This way was the shortest to the mediterranian sea along the jisr jakub Bridge North of the lake of Genezareth to the cities of tyre and acre and further to egypt.  The whole Area southeast of Damaskus was hard fought at al times. Today the Name of the District is  >>south Goutha<< and you will find many actual reports of still ongoing fights between Assad and ISIL troups in this area.

Maybe, everyone of you have additional informations about the Region.
thanks and a nice evening (sorry for my orthog.&gram. faults ;-))

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)