Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinning belt plates
I recently purchased some old belt plates that I thought were brass. They were very tarnished so I cleaned them up using a chemical solution, but I was a little too rough with them, and it turns out they were brass plated copper, and now all the brass is gone. I really dont like the look of the copper, so I was thinking about tinning them. I was wondering if someone who has tinned belt plates could explain the process to me. I have looked for some tutorials online, but the only info I can ever find is on tinning copper bowls and pots. 

Thanks for any help!

Joseph Biggie
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its  warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by  fools."

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
I can help there if you give me a day or to I have done this on my belt,  I will do a how too for you but for now Here is my thread with tinned plates,
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-27072.html
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(04-06-2017, 06:22 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: I can help there if you give me a day or to I have done this on my belt,  I will do a how too for you but for now Here is my thread with tinned plates,
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-27072.html

Thank you! I appreciate it. I understand hot dipping, that seems pretty straight forward, but Im a little confused on the other ways that people seem to be doing it around here. Some people seem to prefer hot dipping and others using tin paste and flux. I appreciate any and all input Smile
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its  warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by  fools."

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
I use tinning paste much easier than hot dipping. I used a kitchen butane torch to do the job  Smile  
Regards Tony  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(04-06-2017, 08:21 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: I use tinning paste much easier than hot dipping. I used a kitchen butane torch to do the job  Smile  
Regards Tony  Big Grin

Any particular brand you prefer? When I google Tinning Paste, most of what comes up either is just flux, or has low tin contents. Im assuming you use an all in one that has both tin and flux correct?

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
Don't worry I will post links to various brands, the paste I use has a water based flux with a powdered tin /lead added, just paste on and heat  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I will be doing the how too tin in the morning then post. For the time being here is a few suppliers of tinning paste  Wink
http://www.frost.co.uk/solder-paste.html
http://www.gwneale.co.uk/nealetin.html
http://www.johnsonmfg.com/temp/tinning.htm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lead-Free-Tinn...SwsW9YyyDE
I hope this puts you onto what to look for most tinning paste is used in the auto restoration business, although you can get from some company's a higher tin content, I hope this is what you are after, will post some time tommorrow.  Smile
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here it is not much too it   Smile

This is the paste I use is from Frost restoration.

You only need a small torch one just runs of lighter butane the other from a standard butane cartridge,  I will just use the small torch.

Just clean the metal with wire wool and I found a small paint brush is good to put on the paste don't over load with paste as You don't want it too thick. You can always apply more if need be.

I have only painted so much, then gentley heat until you see the tinning flow and move down the piece until finished, it will leave a dry looking surface that the flux will just wash off.

This is what you are left with a quick rub with fine wire wool will bring the shine up. Now if you heat the piece up and there is too much tinning you can use fibre glass insulation to remove the access, while still hot, just rub it along the molten tininng.
I hope you can follow this as I said quite straight forward. Hope this is of help and what you were after  Smile
Regards Brennivs   Big Grin

This is the finish you end up with, I use silver polish to keep them shining and a soft cloth to buff with.

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Looks pretty straightforward. Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it immensely Smile

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
No problem glad to help  Wink
Regards Brennivs   Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,687 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Value of belt plates and parts Latinitas 9 2,494 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Castillejo and Numantia belt plates & buckle Lucius Antonius Aquinas 2 2,115 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Vindex