Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairing Pila
JMJ -

I was practicing throwing my pila in the open field near my house.  I averaged about 17 yards per throw.  Not sure if that's a good distance, but I just started trying it out.  

Now the issue I have is that the butt spike on one of the pila broke off at the shaft.

I glued it back together but I am wondering if anybody has any other tricks to fix it?
YBIC
Mike S.
Not the best, but shorten the wood and set the butt-spike back to the new end.
ALA I BATAVORUM
The problem is that threaded rod, it's inside the shaft and not the butt spike.

My brother-in-law suggested pretty much the same thing. Cut the two pieces so that they are flat and find a way to fit them together.
YBIC
Mike S.
The butt spike is the problem, it is not a but spike it looks like it was made for a gardening tool a dibber ?  They are a few ways to repair but this is what I would suggest. First ditch the spike and get hold of a hollow butt spike the break is clean so leave as is as  has more surface area to glue. Drill a centre hole in both pieces and use a couple inches hard wood dowel the help keep the two pieces together, use a good waterproof glue. I would taper shaft to take the new spike. Then find a piece of thin walled metal tubing to slide over break and glue in place ( even if you need to shave the shaft down for a flush fit )  then fit but spike on. Or if you can have a butt spike made that can do it in one go. This should strengthing the area and keep it at its length. I also agree with Jurjen but put a hollow spike on, especially if you can still throw it at its current length  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Brennivs,

Thanks for the idea of using thin walled tubing, I'll see what I can find locally. I think that's going to be the best way to stabilize the shaft. Any idea on where to find a hollow butt spike? I've searched a bit but didn't find anything.

I should also take this moment to point out that this is one of the two poorly made pila that cost about $90. I think they were from Nauticalmart off of Amazon. They were bought to 'look the part' to people who don't know what they're looking at for re-enactments at my church. I did manage to get my hands on some nicer pila recently so I'm not too worried about how the pilum looks when repaired.
YBIC
Mike S.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Repairing a bow method may be useful on Swords ect brennivs - tony drake 8 3,000 08-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Repairing A Broken Arrow brennivs - tony drake 10 4,605 09-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Repairing a gallic I helmet Graff 8 2,229 12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius