Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata Hooks
Couldn't really find any thread on this so I thought I should start one (though I've been known to not notice obvious threads...) Has anyone made Lorica Segmentata hooks from brass rods? I've noticed from the finds in Corbridge that the hooks are rods flattened on one end. I imagine it would take a somewhat thick rod and a lot of annealing.
Salvatore
Trying to flattern brass would be problematic depending on zinc content ect, without being near me books, Some could have been cast ? or I have made them from a thicker piece of flat brass and then removed material from the rivet side and rounded the hook end. Will have a look when I give my books a thumb  Wink 
For now hear is a close pick off one.

Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I also used to make them out of sheet strips. Flatten them at one side and rolling them with the hammer on the other end. Works wonderfull.
ALA I BATAVORUM
(03-24-2017, 01:42 PM)LuciusSallustiusPlautus Wrote: Couldn't really find any thread on this so I thought I should start one (though I've been known to not notice obvious threads...) Has anyone made Lorica Segmentata hooks from brass rods? I've noticed from the finds in Corbridge that the hooks are rods flattened on one end. I imagine it would take a somewhat thick rod and a lot of annealing.

In the past I've forged brass rod and bar by heating it a very dull (barely) red and working it hot with no problems..... temperature is critical though... I doubt that given the thinness of the loop that simply flattening the end of a piece of thin enough rod would produce a wide enough plate, so it would be necesary the start with a thicker rod/bar and forge this to size both loop and plate...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
This is what is so good about this Forum, one thread, 3 different ways to help. You cannot beat it  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(03-24-2017, 07:58 PM)Crispianus Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 01:42 PM)LuciusSallustiusPlautus Wrote: Couldn't really find any thread on this so I thought I should start one (though I've been known to not notice obvious threads...) Has anyone made Lorica Segmentata hooks from brass rods? I've noticed from the finds in Corbridge that the hooks are rods flattened on one end. I imagine it would take a somewhat thick rod and a lot of annealing.

In the past I've forged brass rod and bar by heating it a very dull (barely) red and working it hot with no problems..... temperature is critical though... I doubt that given the thinness of the loop that simply flattening the end of a piece of thin enough rod would produce a wide enough plate, so it would be necesary the start with a thicker rod/bar and forge this to size both loop and plate...

I've tried flattening a 3/8" brass rod while hot with no problems but it just doesn't get wide enough without it getting too thin. I'll try a thicker rod and thin the hook. It's actually not as difficult as I expected. My only worry is that it might not hold up well on segmentata. I'll keep you all updated and a some pictures with the finished hook.
Salvatore
Hmm... I retract my past statements about how easy this is. Even to get the rods flattened enough makes them susceptible to cracking and I haven't even attempted to curve the hook nor drill holes. Is there any evidence to suggest that the hooks and tie loops were cast? I believe I've seen a cast segmentata hook somewhere on the forum and it looked spot on to the originals.
Salvatore