Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peculiar deaths in Asia
Anyone knows about some important roman/greek figures who died in Asia against the Parts, Sasanids, Armenians etc. in Asia?

I can think about Crassus, Gaius Caesar, Germanicus, Valerianus and Julian II on the top of my head.

Anyone knows other interesting anecdotes about this subject?
Giovanni Brambillasca

Non indignemur mortalia corpora solvi:
  cernimus exemplis oppida posse mori.

Rutilius Namatianus, De Reditu Suo,  Liber I, 413-414

(03-22-2017, 11:15 AM)thucydides93 Wrote: Anyone knows about some important roman/greek figures who died in Asia against the Parts, Sasanids, Armenians etc. in Asia?

I can think about Crassus, Gaius Caesar, Germanicus, Valerianus and Julian II on the top of my head.

Anyone knows other interesting anecdotes about this subject?

Valerian was used by Shapur I as a footstool before having molten gold poured down his throat and skinned alive... allegedly  (large shovel full of salt required)
wayne oldfield
(03-22-2017, 12:22 PM)tyketicus Wrote: molten gold poured down his throat and skinned alive... allegedly  (large shovel full of salt required)

Wasn't it Crassus who (allegedly) got the molten gold treatment? There's another story, I think, that his severed head or skull was later used as a prop in a theatrical production...

Several 3rd century deaths:

The emperor Carus was killed in his tent while encamped with his army near Ctesiphon, supposedly by a bolt of lightning...

His son Numerian died during the return march, and his death was concealed for some time, until the stink of his decomposing corpse alerted everyone to his demise...

Gordian III died somehow - either killed in battle, as the Persians claimed, or by disease (or wounds?) as the Romans claimed.

And the mysterious 'Ballista' was apparently murdered in his tent by one of his own soldiers, possibly on the orders of either Gallienus or Odenathus. But since most of the information about him comes from the dubious Historia Augusta, even more salt should probably be applied...
Nathan Ross
(03-22-2017, 11:15 AM)thucydides93 Wrote: Anyone knows other interesting anecdotes about this subject?

276 - the usurper Florianus is killed by his own troops near Tarsus.
337 - the emperor Constantine I travels to Nicomedia and is baptised a Christian. On May 22, whilst in Ancyro near Nicomedia, he dies.
364 - the comes domesticorum Jovian is chosen as successor to Julian. After making peace with Shapur he dies in Dadastana (February 17) aged 32 of undertermeined causes.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The Crassus tradition (Dio 40.27.3) may have been influenced by death of Manius Aquillius in 88 BC - executed by having molten gold poured down his throat (App. Mith. 21, etc.).
Thanks guys!
Giovanni Brambillasca

Non indignemur mortalia corpora solvi:
  cernimus exemplis oppida posse mori.

Rutilius Namatianus, De Reditu Suo,  Liber I, 413-414

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marcus Aurelius in Asia Logarythmus 4 2,605 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus