Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion commanders end third C BC/beginning second C BC
My understanding of the Roman army at the end of the second Punic war/commencement of the second Macedonian war is that consuls had two legions each, and sometimes more. Praetors commanded one legion at a time. I also thought that the position of legate didn't come into common use for another hundred years or more, when the Marian reforms came in.

Checking the Latin version of Livy's History of Rome, book 31, chapter 27, I am therefore confused to read that Sulpicius Galba's 'lieutenant' Lucius Apustius was a 'legatus'!

Is this another example of 'we're not totally sure when the term "legatus" came into use', or is the term 'legatus' also synonymous with 'lieutenant'?

Thanks for any info.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
(03-14-2017, 02:25 PM)ParthianBow Wrote: is the term 'legatus' also synonymous with 'lieutenant'?

Hi Ben

I think that's pretty much right - although not as a military rank, of course! (our word 'delegate' comes from the same source, I believe - although I could be wrong...)

As far as I know, under the republic legati were appointed by the Senate to act as deputies to consuls and proconsuls in the field. So if Galba was the Consul, Apustius would be one of his legates.

I'm not so sure about the situation earlier in the republic, but from what I understand of Caesar's day legions did not have fixed commanders - the consul or proconsul would appoint one of his legates (who would themselves usually hold propraetorian rank, I think) to lead each legion on a sort of ad hoc basis whenever required, and often switched them around.

This article on Lacus Curtius has a few useful details which might clear things up a bit more:

Smith's Dictionary - Legatus
Nathan Ross
Ben wrote:
My understanding of the Roman army at the end of the second Punic war/commencement of the second Macedonian war is that consuls had two legions each, and sometimes more. Praetors commanded one legion at a time. I also thought that the position of legate didn't come into common use for another hundred years or more, when the Marian reforms came in.

One translation of Dionysius (5 21) mentions 4 legates at the battle of the Sublician Bridge in 508 BC. In 437 BC, Livy (4 18 10-11) the dictator had two legates (Legatos T. Quinctium Capitolinum et M. Fabium Vibulanum sequi se dictator iussit) accompany the army. For the battle of Mount Algidus in 431 BC, Livy names 3 legates belonging to the dictator’s force. Spurius Postumius Albus (legatus praeficitur), Quintus Sulpicius (legatum praeficit castris), and Marcus Fabius (legato adsignat equites).

I am sure there are more references. My conclusion is a legate commanded a legion, but can be assigned to other bodies when need be as done in 431 BC example.

Broughton's "The Magistrates of the Roman Republic," lists all the legates, that is legates as ambassadors and also as lieutenants. Dionysius reference for 508 BC should be four tribunes. The first legate (lieutenant) is recorded for the year 505 BC.
Thanks, both, for confirming what I thought.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
Ben wrote:

Well don’t keep us in suspense dear fellow, do tell.
(03-20-2017, 12:14 PM)Steven James Wrote: Ben wrote:

Well don’t keep us in suspense dear fellow, do tell.

Do tell what?

www.benkane.net
Would a legate in a legion have seniority over a quaestor?  Polybius talks of a consul dividing his fleet up between his quaestors, which is the motive behind this question.
(03-20-2017, 02:29 PM)Steven James Wrote: Would a legate in a legion have seniority over a quaestor? 

Most legion legates were propraetors, I believe - which would mean they outranked quaestors. There are one or two proquaestorian legion commanders known from the principiate, I think, so possibly this was also done under the republic. If the Polybian consul was using his quaestors as fleet commanders then this seems likely. They would still have been inferior to any praetors or propraetors commanding legions though.
Nathan Ross
Nathan wrote:

If the Polybian consul was using his quaestors as fleet commanders then this seems likely. They would still have been inferior to any praetors or propraetors commanding legions though.

What threw was why did the consul Junius divide his fleet up between the quaestors and not his legates. Then yesterday, after looking at the nature of Junius’ mission, it becomes clear. Junius’ fleet is on a supply mission, so his legates would have remained back at Lilybaeum with the legions maintaining the siege. Had Junius been transporting the legionaries to another location, then, the legates would have been on board.

Another puzzle bits the dust.