Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this combination of Segmentata/Chainmail armour historical?
Quote:If you follow this link and scroll down the page, you will find a post that states that, from a certain angle, the warrior's fingernails can be seen, thus militating against his wearing gloves:

http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=720

Good one. So long sleeves, not gloves.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Getting back on thread and to the original post, Dan what are your thoughts on what the riders are wearing over the shoulders? You said you had several interpretations.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
A bunched cloak of some kind. A tube-and-yoke typology with a multi-piece shoulder flap. Regular segmentata with the torso detail painted rather than carved. Perhaps we finally have evidence of D'Amato's fabled leather segmentata Wink

The fantasy illustration in the initial drawing doesn't actually look anything like that sculpture. It has been modified to look like the shoulder armour worn by Scottish border Reivers, which is certainly one interpretation but hardly the most likely one.
Hi again!
I've been busy with other things but saw this thread and couldn't resist.

I've come across this depiction years ago and put some thought into it. Several 1st century cavalrymen stelae show not a mail, but a scale shirt. Vonatorix is shown in a scale shirt with some kind of plate shoulder defence. He has pteruges on the shoulder. The duplicarius Longinus Sdapeze also has a scale armour.
Standard bearers rarely have detailed armour on stelae, but all show a line on the upper arm, suggesting pteruges. Assuming the the scales were painted in, they apparently also wore a similar armour.

Taking all this together I think that in the early empire a special armour for front rank cavalrymen was introduced, consisting of segmentata style shoulder defences attached to a scale shirt. The foundation of the scale shirt would then serve as a arming doublet for the shoulders, with pteruges against the chafing of the plate shoulder defences.

I'm convinced that this front rank armour was combined with a full face mask helmet. Marcus Junkerman has convincingly argued that these were originally combat helmets. Later these face mask helmets were relegated to sports use and the armour possibly dropped altogether.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Quote: Assuming the the scales were painted in...
This is the problem. The scale interpretation is no more likely than any of the alternatives already suggested. However, it definitely can be added to the list.
(03-09-2017, 11:35 PM)Graham Sumner Wrote: "I imagine the 'padded collar' is part of the subarmalis which possibly extended up to and around the neck."

I have a subarmalis with a bit of a collar. Also my cavalry tunic has sleeves with turned up cuffs. 
Maybe it's time to experiment with the armour too.

"Of further interest the sculpture also appears to show long sleeved tunics with turned back cuffs.

Graham."
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel