Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La Tene shield materials?
Thanks.  I see from there that the boss on the Witham shield looks similar, if shorter.  It's dated to the 4th century but it's close.

I just rediscovered a page on the Glauberg burials.  The boss from there might be a good model, though I'd have to reduce the flange by about three quarters (and the central ridge might be unattainable/unaffordable).  The statue from the same site has a shield with short spines.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
(07-30-2020, 02:28 PM)Dan D\Silva Wrote: Thanks.  I see from there that the boss on the Witham shield looks similar, if shorter.  It's dated to the 4th century but it's close.

I just rediscovered a page on the Glauberg burials.  The boss from there might be a good model, though I'd have to reduce the flange by about three quarters (and the central ridge might be unattainable/unaffordable).  The statue from the same site has a shield with short spines.

If you check out the Chertsy shield (400-250bc) which has a similar boss to the one you want to use, you can see that the ridge is a seperate piece riveted on eesy peesy....

I think it should be wooden with or without a metal strap across it,  this can be simple or as complex as you like...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(07-30-2020, 03:10 PM)Crispianus Wrote: If you check out the Chertsy shield (400-250bc) which has a similar boss to the one you want to use, you can see that the ridge is a seperate piece riveted on eesy peesy....
Excellent, I hadn't noticed that!

(07-30-2020, 03:10 PM)Crispianus Wrote: I think it should be wooden with or without a metal strap across it,  this can be simple or as complex as you like...
True, but, to be honest, I'm thinking of cheating and using just a heavy-gauge umbo that tapers to small openings at the top and bottom, with some half-round dowel sticking out for the spines.  Custom woodwork sure isn't cheap.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
There seem to be two early shields from Ireland whose find spots are easy to confuse: the round wooden shield from Cloonlara, County Mayo (probably Bronze Age) and the rectangular wooden shield covered and backed with hide from Clonoura, County Tipperary (probably Iron Age). What book is the drawing of the shield from Clonoura, Co. Tipperary from?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks, a popular article attributes a similar diagram to a 1983 publication by a Barry Raftery (possibly A Catalogue of Irish Iron Age Antiquities). Hopefully either the book by Edwards or the book by Raftery has it!

This seems to be another case where people in slightly different fields don't talk to one another, because "Roman army" people know about the Hjortspring shields and the British shields and "Bronze Age Europe" people know about the two wooden shields from Bronze Age Ireland.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(02-07-2023, 12:33 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: Thanks, a popular article attributes a similar diagram to a 1983 publication by a Barry Raftery (possibly A Catalogue of Irish Iron Age Antiquities).  Hopefully either the book by Edwards or the book by Raftery has it!

This seems to be another case where people in slightly different fields don't talk to one another, because "Roman army" people know about the Hjortspring shields and the British shields and "Bronze Age Europe" people know about the two wooden shields from Bronze Age Ireland.

Sean I think we crossed wires there the original suggestion (Edwards) turned out to be a red herring...

Barry Raftery, Pagan Celtic Ireland, p. 146, fig. 89... I do believe is the right book ref for the illustration in this thread.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield Sean Manning 18 1,204 08-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Crispianus