Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Sources and ResourcesFor Swords
What are good sources for Roman Swords other than Mik's and Bishop's.  
Picture sources, measurements, archeological finds.  I would like to expand my sword making capabilities and often have people who want a sword and scabbard... but don't know what they want.  

I would like to start this thread for postings of sources, resources, measurements, pictures, drawings, web sites etc. I have searched acedemia.edu but that is long and tedious and sometimes come up bankrupt. So, if you have found resources, articles etc. post them.

(If there is already a thread here that does that, will you point me in the right direction?)

thank you... 

Patrick
(02-21-2017, 05:09 AM)Pointer Wrote: What are good sources for Roman Swords other than Mik's and Bishop's.  
Picture sources, measurements, archeological finds.  I would like to expand my sword making capabilities and often have people who want a sword and scabbard... but don't know what they want.  

I would like to start this thread for postings of sources, resources, measurements, pictures, drawings, web sites etc. I have searched acedemia.edu but that is long and tedious and sometimes come up bankrupt. So, if you have found resources, articles etc. post them.

(If there is already a thread here that does that, will you point me in the right direction?)

thank you... 

Patrick

Probably your best bet is to go through Miks biblo and then search for likely titles online, now I dont have Miks but it looks like the bible on roman swords to me and should I think contain anything of significance published up to 2007...
If you dont have Miks take a look at the table of contents: http://www.vml.de/e/detail.php?ISBN=978-3-89646-136-0

Beyond 2007 I might suggest:

Illerup Adal vol 11-12 Die Schwerter: http://en.unipress.dk/udgivelser/i/iller...schwerter/

and possibly:

Kragehul Mose: http://en.unipress.dk/udgivelser/k/kragehul-mose/

Ejsbøl Mose: http://en.unipress.dk/udgivelser/e/ejsb%C3%B8l-mose/

Thorsberger Moor: http://www.zbsa.eu/publications/monograp...oor-band-3
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hmm Patrick you have hit the same wall I have, It has taken me years to find info on very obscure  swords and fittings. What I have found is there is vast array of swords out there are not the norm that most reeanacters use in fact 10-15 years ago " thats not Roman" would have been used, but not now. I am always looking for off the wall swords to make and try to put elements into the makeing of it that you just don't see. When I was making the ring pommels I found very few with scabbard finds with the vast majority out there. I have found Academia is a good source but as you say you need to troll through the papers but there are gems out there, also members of the forum are also great at making us aware of hidden swords in small museums. Even my Vimose spatha I thought was pushing it for being used by Romans yet when I obtained Miks there it was classified as being used by them  Smile  Also trying to go down the road of doing something different especially up to mid 2nd AD then you will find the power off the traditional  look of a sword of that period  can be hard to sway. Like all equipment out there, they is a vast array off romanised copys of kit from native provences, and again should be replicated. The Dura sword finds are in essence  western european but the same men in time would probably have more eastern flavour to there swords and equipment. My best advice would be to ask, what are you portraying, what period, how long you have been in the army where have you served. Hopefully  this will give you a start to know what to look for. Hope this is of help and I have not rambled on  Wink If you need any help  just ask If I dont have the answer someone out there might.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
The article of Christian Miks ("Sword, gladius") in the third volume of the Encyclopedia of the Roman Army (Le Bohec Y. (éd.), Wiley Blackwell, 2015, p. 948-970) is a good condensed of the question, with a lot of plates from his 2007 book. The references are Miks 2007 (Studien zur römischen...) and Biorski, M. (2004) Schwert, §4: Römische Kaiserziet. In Reallexikon der germanischen Altertumskunde, vol. 27, pp. 549-562. As further readings, it gave : Connolly, P. (1997) "Pillum, gladius and pugio in the Late Republic", JRMES, vol. 8, pp. 41-57 and Menghin, W. (1983) Das Schwert im Frühen Mittelalter.
There are also multiple articles of Michel Feugère in French, the Quesada Sanz "Gladius hispaniensis - an archaeological view from Iberia" in JRMES 8, and all the excavation reports. Poux, Matthieu (dir.), Sur les traces de César : militaria tardo-républicains en contexte gaulois, Glux-en-Glenne, Bibracte, Centre archéologique européen, coll. « Bibracte » (n°14), 2008 also contains a lot of references and a synthesis on militaria at the time of Caesar.

Elliott

Elliott S.
For Germanic and Late Roman Matt Bunker told me to look into "The Spoils of Victory: The North in the Shadow of the Roman Empire." It'll run you a bit (I got a used copy for only 100 bucks) but it's worth it.
Thanks for the heads up on the book Evan  Smile got a copy from a seller in Newcastle just up the road from me chears.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)