Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time and place for this shield boss?
(02-01-2023, 09:05 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: I think the place to look would be the preliminary and final reports on the excavations (which will be in German).  Many European countries require archaeologists to publish those promptly to remain eligible for grants.  I don't know where those are published, but one of the previews of the book Celtic Art in Europe: Making Connections points to the volume

H. Baitinger, und B. Pinsker, Das Rätsel der Kelten vom Glauberg: Glaube - Mythos - Wirklichkeit: Begleitband zur Ausstellung des Landes Hessen in der Schirn-Kunsthalle Frankfurt 24. Mai bis 1. September 2002. Schirn-Kunsthalle and Hessische Kultur GmbH: Stuttgart, 2002.

Its a companion volume for a museum exhibition so its probably well illustrated.  I doubt there is anything detailed in English on late Halstatt and early La Tène arms and arms unfortunately (although the book by Canestrelli covers La Tène arms and armour south and west of a line from Veneto to Northern England.

Thanks, there appears to be an article in "Hessen Archäologie - Jahrbuch 2002" with the title " Experiment Glauberg: Neues zum Schild des Keltenfürsten." which would suggest something on the shield... actual price 25€ or less 2H, but I like to know what I'm buying...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I will add that to my bibliography on ancient European shields, but it looks like it is only two pages long and Google Scholar does not show anyone who cites it. https://zenon.dainst.org/Record/001245727 So 25 Euros plus S&H might be a high price https://www.antikmakler.de/bv1347

Scandy finds are often more accessible to English speakers because after 1945, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish archaeologists slowly agreed that research for international audiences should be in English rather than German, Russian, or French. Although a smartphone with a scanner app that does OCR + Google Translate can do a lot!
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(02-02-2023, 12:02 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: I will add that to my bibliography on ancient European shields, but it looks like it is only two pages long and Google Scholar does not show anyone who cites it. https://zenon.dainst.org/Record/001245727  So 25 Euros plus S&H might be a high price https://www.antikmakler.de/bv1347

Scandy finds are often more accessible to English speakers because after 1945, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish archaeologists slowly agreed that research for international audiences should be in English rather than German, Russian, or French.  Although a smartphone with a scanner app that does OCR + Google Translate can do a lot!

Thanks I missed that, likely not worthwhile then...

I was trying to find a PDF tome ( Armement et auxiliaires gaulois) I had by a french? author and had a look through his Acadamia page and found this:

"L’umbo de bouclier fusiforme de la tombe de Campagnac" by L.Pernet

Its also well worth checking out his uploads...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(02-03-2023, 07:41 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Thanks I missed that, likely not worthwhile then...

I was trying to find a PDF tome ( Armement et auxiliaires gaulois) I had by a french? author and had a look through his Acadamia page and found this:

"L’umbo de bouclier fusiforme de la tombe de Campagnac" by L.Pernet

Its also well worth checking out his uploads...
If I understand correctly, Benjamin Girard, Lionel Pernet, and Samuel Mérigeaud think that this is a late type attested from the late second century BCE into the age of Augustus and Claudius. And it is one of the types built more like a Viking Age shield boss, with thick walls that can deflect a sword, than the types which just add some shiny metal to a wooden boss. So It looks like towards the end of the La Tene culture, some Gauls returned to shield bosses which were similar in shape to the very early bosses from southern Germany and Czechia, but which had thick iron walls.

They give a variety of dimensions in their article.

Nobody can know what this shield boss is based on without asking the person who designed it, but I think you have a very good guess of the general type of boss which the designer was thinking of.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Germanic Shield Boss madoc 12 5,673 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Germanic Shield Boss M. Demetrius 24 10,935 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ghandi
  shield boss Chuck Russell 7 3,635 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MeinPanzer