Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
books/journals on roman military decisions
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any books/journals that cover how roman generals and their armies moved from location to location. I've found a lot covering their settlements, how fast they move, but none that cover how they decided where to move.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to find a book that covers, for example, 'rules' on how to move armies, whether to situate yourself on high ground/low ground, etc.

If it helps I'm specifically concerned with Julius Caesar and his invasions of Britain. Based on this, there's also a question of whether Caesar was just responding to what the Britons were doing, or did Caesar have intelligence that urged him to pick the particular places to visit.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone has read De Re Militari, and if it covers what I'm looking for.

Thanks. Any questions, let me know.
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)tikeshe Wrote: I'm also curious as to whether anyone has read De Re Militari, and if it covers what I'm looking for.

I assume that you mean Vegetius. His treatise contains a wealth of practical advice and includes the siting and form of camps. Although it was compiled in the late-4th or early-5th century, the information in it derives principally from earlier periods, including the Republic. The best English translation is N. P. Milner, Vegetius: Epitome of Military Science, Liverpool University Press, 1996.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(01-12-2017, 11:51 PM)Renatus Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)tikeshe Wrote: I'm also curious as to whether anyone has read De Re Militari, and if it covers what I'm looking for.

I assume that you mean Vegetius. His treatise contains a wealth of practical advice and includes the siting and form of camps. Although it was compiled in the late-4th or early-5th century, the information in it derives principally from earlier periods, including the Republic. The best English translation is N. P. Milner, Vegetius: Epitome of Military Science, Liverpool University Press, 1996.

Thank you for the translation recommendation.

Do you know of any information on how armies were ordered to move? whether their route was decided by scouts, etc?

My aim is to be able to have as much information as possible to make a prediction on how armies moved from each location, as to create a computer simulation.

Thanks again Smile
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)tikeshe Wrote: books/journals that cover how roman generals and their armies moved from location to location. I've found a lot covering their settlements, how fast they move, but none that cover how they decided where to move.

Sounds like you want Roth's The Logistics of the Roman Army at War.

Roth covers most of the surviving sources on army organisation on the march, supply and administration. There are a few useful points (albeit from a much later era) in the Strategikon of Maurikios. Vegetius is very helpful, as the information he uses probably relates to an earlier period than his own, although it's often difficult to determine where he's getting his ideas from!
Nathan Ross
You may find something useful in N. J. E. Austin & N. B. Rankov, Exploratio: Military and Political Intelligence in the Roman World, which I regret to say I have not read.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(01-13-2017, 10:19 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)tikeshe Wrote: books/journals that cover how roman generals and their armies moved from location to location. I've found a lot covering their settlements, how fast they move, but none that cover how they decided where to move.

Sounds like you want Roth's The Logistics of the Roman Army at War (luckily some helpful person's put it online, as it's quite expensive!)

Roth covers most of the surviving sources on army organisation on the march, supply and administration. There are a few useful points (albeit from a much later era) in the Strategikon of Maurikios. Vegetius is very helpful, as the information he uses probably relates to an earlier period than his own, although it's often difficult to determine where he's getting his ideas from!

Thank you! I will definitely check those books out. Hopefully I find something useful!
(01-13-2017, 10:53 AM)Renatus Wrote: You may find something useful in N. J. E. Austin & N. B. Rankov, Exploratio: Military and Political Intelligence in the Roman World, which I regret to say I have not read.

Oh, awesome. Thank you! I will let you all know how I get on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sibylline Books and military disasters Epictetus 5 1,679 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering