Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mending chinstrap loops on a Gallic G
Ha! Deck the helms with boughs of holly... Glad to hear they arrived, and thanks for the confirmation, next day is pretty good at this time of year. I look forward to hear how you get on. Many thanks.
Regards, Duncan
Duncan the Cvrsvs Pvblicvs are now in possession of your cheek gaurds, and the Dromedarivs was waiting to bring it to you Smile I have taken photos of the repair as well as to show what the problem was, so if you don't mind I will share. I had to upgrade your rings plus they were too thin to braze  Sad   and I killed one in the proccess Cry  so hope item is with you soon Wink
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
That's wonderful Tony, thank you, of course, please do share. The helmet all in all seems a pretty good piece, but the rings really let it down; I knew as soon as I put it on that they wouldn't last, so assume this is a common problem on a popular helmet, and any advice you give will be very useful to many. Thanks again for all your help.
Regards, Duncan
Here goes Smile

I hope you can see how far the rivet has bent to one side   Angry

The top photo shows how flimsy the origonal fitting was,  the bottom one how deformed the hole has become with the rivet bending to one side.

Here are the replacements against the one fitted.

Then finally riveted on inside and the outside  Cool  I had to use a slightly bigger rivet plus the discs I kept flat so the problem would not happen again Sleepy  As to origonal chin strap rings, they vary in quality but seam to be of similar shape but I have to say they also suffered from good and bad fittings and riveting. Otherwise a nice little hour or so job up the Fabrica  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Brilliant, Tony, thank you. Fortunately the ring at the back of the helmet was by far the most secure of the lot, and seems to take less of a battering, but if it ever needs fixing, thanks to the replies in this thread, I'll know what to do and be far less daunted by it. The difference in quality and durability between the original piece and yours speaks for itself.
Regards, Duncan
Returned late last night from a trip to find the cheekpieces on the mat. Fantastic job, Tony, many thanks again for your kindness. Lovely solid rings and rivets, just the job and clearly never going to be a problem again. Merry Christmas!
Regards, Duncan
WOW fast Dromadarivs  Rolleyes   Smile I am glad your are happy with them, but since it was free it does not come with a guarantee   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  he he !  I have found two helmets that show rings clearly as with most finds the back of items never photographed to show construction details and as I looked at cheek gaurds just about everyone shows the outside  Angry Undecided

This one has a D ring shape.

This one has a round ring.

You can see this is what I scaled the rings on and they are heavy duty compared to the ones fitted to your helmet. 
I like helping people out when I can  and doing freebies  Smile  so no problem. So all the best for Satvrnalia  Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Is the bottom picture the Mainz helmet? I guess that almost makes mine a definitive example now!
Regards, Duncan