Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Morrow Pilum
Thumbs Up 
Recently recieved a Pilum made by Mark Morrow, and it is a very nice peice of work! I'll try and get some pictures of it posted.

It's lighter than I would have expected. A part of me really wants to throw it at my first attempt at a scutum blank (functional but ugly) but I'm worried I'll damage the pilum!

Still......

Adrian
(01-09-2017, 09:12 PM)Adriangunn Wrote: Recently recieved a Pilum made by Mark Morrow, and it is a very nice peice of work! I'll try and get some pictures of it posted.

It's lighter than I would have expected. A part of me really wants to throw it at my first attempt at a scutum blank (functional but ugly) but I'm worried I'll damage the pilum!

Still......

Adrian
I too have one and it's much lighter than the old Deepeekas most of us started with as well as many "home-made" versions that are based on the older Deepeekas. The new Deepeekas are lighter I'm told. I've visited Mark several times over the years as I'm close and I never stop being impressed by his focus on good solid craftsmanship.
Joe Balmos
(01-09-2017, 09:12 PM)Adriangunn Wrote: Recently recieved a Pilum made by Mark Morrow, and it is a very nice peice of work! I'll try and get some pictures of it posted.

Still......

Adrian

Whats the worst that could happen? Maybe ask Mark what he thinks..... I would think though if the tips not hardened you may damage it, of course the shaft may bend but that should be an easy fix... and when you get one made specify it should be functional (if it isnt already) Within reason of course...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
If you want to just throw it (excluding hard target like shield) but just for practice, get some styrofoam or haystack.
Damian
I can see a lot of regret coming later! I'm sure it's functional and I'm also reasonably sure the Romans did not practice with actual pila as they could be damaged and one could not order another so easily online. Like sword practice with wooden swords it can be reasonably assumed that the Romans used something similar in size and weight for practice throws.
Joe Balmos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,240 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert
  mark morrow scabbard? TITVS PVLLO 1 1,519 10-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Mark Morrow Pilum marsvigilia 0 981 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia