Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Latin
Does anyone know where I can find good grammatical references to Ancient Latin, you know, like the grammar of the Twelve Tables... So far, all I got is "deike mihi sei tu virod duenod es" Speak to me if you are with a good man. And that is probably not wholly right! <p></p><i></i>
I have never seen any reference books to that era. Just now we're finding books on pronunciation in the 100 BC -100AD era, but I always thought that ancient Latin was lost? There are a few books on Etruscan (Larissa Bonafante writes several), but there is very little known about that as well. <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Like Rich says, I don't think there's any reference book, at least not off the top of my head...<br>
going all the way back to the Twelve Tables (of which indeed we only have fragments) there just isn't much (read: enough) evidence kicking around. The 6th c. Lapis Niger inscription, for example, isn't clearly understood. By the third and second centuries Latin literature per se springs up, including Livius Andronicus, Plautus, and Cato... what do you need it for? I could maybe answer specific questions... are you looking for texts?<br>
<br>
Etruscan, of course, is completely unrelated to Latin, but you can get a grammar for it -- the most recent is Bonfante's. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p088.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dannoulpius>Danno Ulpius</A> at: 9/11/04 7:44 pm<br></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient/Iron Age Tribal names....Latin or Local. 66kbm 12 3,793 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Urselius