Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last crucifixion?
This form of execution was popular with Rome, but when did it finally end? Even after the empire converted to Christianity they still executed people. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I have to look into this, but it seems logical that after Constantine a crucifixion was considered a "holy" way of dying.<br>
Not for the normal human being anymore. Maybe this was the time that hanging and burning at the stake came in fashion.<br>
The medieval symbolism of hanging is, dangling between heaven and earth, being offered to hell that is. Burning at the stake was a kind death in that the soul of a victim was purged by fire. So the soul could go to heaven in due time.<br>
<br>
As for a date of the last crucifixion? I don't know. But I will get back to you on this when I stumble upon it.<br>
<br>
Gaivs Civilis <p></p><i></i>
I'd wonder if the now "Christianized" Romans of Constantine considered crucifixion to be "holy" or if it was a later medieval thing. It would be like trying to cannonize the electric chair or a firing squad. (And what interesting icons there would be too. Crucifixion was a routine execution style for the Romans and not something specially made up for messiahs. I would think that Rome quit crucifying people for other reasons like just getting lazy about it. It's much easier to hang someone at a cross roads and let their bodies rot if you want to make a point than it is to set up crosses. Could be an interesting research topic.<br>
<br>
deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I never looked at it that way. A nice researchtopic indeed.<br>
<br>
Gaivs Civilis <p></p><i></i>
blurb from Encylopedia Britannica:<br>
<br>
" an important method of capital punishment, particularly among the Persians, Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD. Constantine the Great, the first Christian emperor, abolished it in the Roman Empire in AD 337, out of veneration for Jesus Christ, the most famous victim of crucifixion" <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks Rich! That's interesting to know. And a good thing that Christ wasn't hanged or electrocuted. Would make for some really strange religious icons. Smile<br>
<br>
deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was crucifixion rare? Epictetus 19 5,055 09-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr