Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Vinum
I'm looking for a book on Roman wine industry and culture, and Stuart Fleming's "Vinum : The Story of Roman Wine" is the only one I've seen. This isn't just for drinking! Since we run a caupona we need to know more about how Romans used wine, thought of it, etc. Besides this one, has anyone seen any others that are worthwhile? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
A capona is always a fun topic.<br>
Maybe you should look in books on Roman cooking. There must be something in it about wine.<br>
<br>
I found a interesting German book on wine:<br>
Karl-Wilhelm Weeber, Die weinkultur der Roemer, Duesseldorf 1999.<br>
<br>
It is a kind of encyclopedia with small chapters on various topics. If you have specific questions, I can look it up for you and translate. Being from Germania Inferior, I can understand the dialects of Germania Superior. But only in small amounts and not whole books please. On the other hand, I am glad to help you out if I can.<br>
<br>
Gaivs Civilis <p></p><i></i>
<br>
*Where France(Gallia), Italy, and Spain(Hispania) considered power houses in the wine industry during Roman times, as they are still considered in modern times?<br>
<br>
*What other places in the empire produced wine besides the above three mentioned? Just a humble inquiry. <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.