Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidebooks for Roman-themed travels
This might be a good opportunity to share our favorite must-have guidebooks when planning or enjoying our Roman-oriented travels.<br>
<br>
My recommendation for anyone visiting the city of Rome is:<br>
<br>
<strong>ROME: an Oxford Archaeological Guide</strong>, by Amanda Claridge, Oxford University Press, 1998, 455 pages, softcover, $19.95 (USD).<br>
<br>
<em>"This guide provides:<br>
<br>
- Coverage of all the important sites in the city from 800 BC to AD 600<br>
- 200 high-quality site plans, maps, diagrams, and photographs<br>
- Sites divided into 12 main areas (Forum, Upper Via Sacra, Palatine Hill, Imperial Forums, Campus Martius, Capitoline Hill, Circus Flaminius & Circus Maximus, Colosseum & Esquiline Hill, Caelian Hill and the Via Appia, Baths of Diocletian, Museums & Catacombs)<br>
- Introduction offering essential background to the culture and history of ancient Rome, highlighting the nature of Roman achievement, and explaining how Rome came to be the largest city in the ancient world<br>
- Info about museums and opening times, a chronology for reference, and comprehensive glossaries."</em><br>
<br>
-- from the back cover.<br>
<br>
I used this guide like the Bible when Sander, Jasper, and I went to Rome a couple years ago. It's quite possibly the only book you need if you want to see the best of what's ancient in Rome.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jrscline>JRSCline</A> at: 5/5/03 9:00:34 am<br></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I remembered my ancient travel guide much recommended by Merlinia:<br>
<br>
"Travel in the Ancient World" by Lionel Casson, Johns Hopkins Univ Press, 1994. ISBN 0-8018-4808-3<br>
<br>
All about being a tourist in ancient Greece and Rome, visiting the seven wonders when they were still there, what it was like to find an inn, eat, and all the tribulations. Very good book. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
When travelling anywhere in the UK I took 'A Guide to the Roman Remains in Britain' by Roger J. A. Wilson third edition (198. It was great and now has a fourth edition.<br>
<br>
I have it copiously noted and ticked off. The only problem was that the end of our travels coincided with the Foot and Mouth outbreak and so the sites were all closed and some we were only able to see from a distance.<br>
<br>
I'll just have to go back with the fourth edition.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9