Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anti-spam new member login?
I think some of those things can be done out of the box with MyBB (which, as far as I know, is no offshoot of PHPBB) using the permissions system. I'll look at that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
(11-29-2016, 10:17 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: I think some of those things can be done out of the box with MyBB (which, as far as I know, is no offshoot of PHPBB) using the permissions system. I'll look at that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've seen the spam - it's a real pain. And I know how much work is involved dealing with it.

You've got to understand the spammer mentality - They aren't posting for you - they're posting for Google, etc. So from their point of view, just being on the site for a few hours, may allow them to get their URL scanned by google - and they've achieved what they wanted.

And it'll be one programmer/owner - who tries to automate everything - but for some of it, I'm sure they now use a room full of very low paid workers who may not even speak English. And because of that, every new question, prevents the low paid workers doing the registration and instead the owner will have to look it up on google - then fill out a sheet of "questions + answers". The more he has to waste his time - the sooner he'll just give up and go somewhere easier.

So the effective ways to stop them are:
1. Make it harder to register - e.g. a large number of different but very basic questions (at least for anyone even mildly interested in subject).
2. Restrict the publication of URLs
3. Restrict the number of posts
4. Speed up the removal of spam.

So, another suggestion - is that you make it easier to "sin bin" posts. A simple idea is that if 1 or 2? people flag a post then it gets removed from public view immediately - unless actively reinstated by a mod.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
I've just looked at your previous suggestion and MyBB seems to have a good solution. Every new member is automatically restricted in his profile/PM/posts settings until three posts have been moderator approved. That should cut it down to size.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
(11-29-2016, 10:55 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: I've just looked at your previous suggestion and MyBB seems to have a good solution. Every new member is automatically restricted in his profile/PM/posts settings until three posts have been moderator approved. That should cut it down to size.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
It seems to work. Three spammers with four posts were waiting for cleanup this morning, but they shouldn't have been visible.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I got 2 more, which is quite low compared to the past weeks.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(11-30-2016, 06:08 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: It seems to work. Three spammers with four posts were waiting for cleanup this morning, but they shouldn't have been visible.

Well done!
(11-30-2016, 06:08 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: It seems to work. Three spammers with four posts were waiting for cleanup this morning, but they shouldn't have been visible.

That's good news. However, I wonder how that affects genuine new members who want to raise a query or to contribute to an ongoing discussion.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
It will affect them in the sense that they'll have to wait until a moderator approves their first few posts. We're trying to check every few hours, but I'm afraid that's about the only way to ensure you don't wake up to a forum flooded with crap.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Good work, moderators! Thanks.
Nathan Ross
(11-30-2016, 01:29 PM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: It will affect them in the sense that they'll have to wait until a moderator approves their first few posts. We're trying to check every few hours, but I'm afraid that's about the only way to ensure you don't wake up to a forum flooded with crap.

I understand the necessity but is that explained to them when they register?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
The system shows them a message when they post and it has to be checked.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Login trouble on RA.com? Praefectusclassis 6 4,432 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Last Post: emj1s