Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all archers
I am trying to find some info on North American plains Indian bows.

What sort of pull they had etc .

Anyone got any info ?

Regards

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Ihave 5. One is over 100 years old, made from Ozark Apple, or Bois'd'arc. I have one Navaho style, made in the past 20 years, and some others... anyway,
the bow draw depends on the length of the string and the length of the arrows, so if you want to make the bow draw a certain poundage, you modify the string and the length of the draw. I don't choose to draw the 100+ year old one much past 35 pounds, while the more recent one is able to pull 55+ pounds for a quick release.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Thanks Herbert,

I have just finished reading Son of the Morning Start ref the Custer debacle and it mentions bows which could send an arrow clear through a Buffalo.

Another book I have started Red Sabbath ( I am over dosing on the Little Big Horn at the moment !) mentions 80 pound pulls.

The reason I asked is that I recall redaing somehwre years ago that the Indians used a "tertiary" draw which looks like thumb and forefinger either side if arroiw and second finger round the string only ... and the inference was that this draw can only be used for a low powered bow... maybe 30 pound pull.

What do you think ?

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda