Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Identifying a Roman Era Weapon
Hi,

I'm trying to do some research on a museum artifact which is categorized as being from the Roman era. It's the head of a weapon and I'd like to correctly identify what type of weapon it is as well as provide some context associated with it like estimated time range, associated culture, region, etc. The museum does not have much contextual information about the artifact since it was purchased in the early 20th century to be a part of their collection so it didn't come with any knowledge of where it was found.

I'm hoping that those of you who are much more knowledgeable of Roman era weaponry will be able to categorize the artifact. I don't want to bias your opinion on the matter though so beyond some images I won't include the additional information the museum has on the artifact. Specifically I'd appreciate your opinions on:

Type of Weapon:
Use of Weapon:
Type of Metal:
Associated Culture:
Estimated Time Range of Usage:
Likely Region Where Used:
Likely Units to Have Used It:

Anybody that can provide some references to archaeological typologies of Roman era weaponry that I could use for further research would be very helpful. I've spent a couple days trying to find published typologies from the pre-Internet era when information used to be passed around via books and journals and haven't really found much to date. There have to be typologies that were used in the past but my searching hasn't been producing much.

Edited to add dimensions and weight since the images can be deceptive:

It is 19.2 cm (7.5 in) long by 1.3 cm (0.5 in) wide and 0.3 cm (0.1 in) thick. It also weighs 36.9 g (1.3 oz).

Image 1:
[Image: 1917.04.0001.1.JPG]

Image 2:
[Image: 1917.04.0001.2.JPG]

Thanks,

Jerry Davis
Hellenic Arrowhead?

[Image: 171571635997.jpg]

[link removed because of violation of forum rules]
Sorry, I should have provided more information since the images can be deceptive. It is 19.2 cm (7.5 in) long by 1.3 cm (0.5 in) wide and 0.3 cm (0.1 in) thick. It also weighs 36.9 g (1.3 oz). It might be an arrowhead but at 19.2 cm it is likely too long for that purpose.
Without any information on the context of the find I doubt anybody could be certain about what it is.

Why does the museum think it's Roman if they don't know where it comes from?
Nathan Ross
(11-16-2016, 01:22 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Without any information on the context of the find I doubt anybody could be certain about what it is.

Why does the museum think it's Roman if they don't know where it comes from?

In 1911 it was purchased from somebody/some institution that was located in Rome. It's not much but that is where the assumption that it is a Roman era weapon is coming from. I'm sure at the time of purchase there was additional information provided that pointed to it being from the Roman time period and from the Roman region but that information has been lost to the museum.

I'm curious what people's opinions are based on the shape and size of the artifact. Certainty of what it is would be a luxury! Guesses welcome since it will help me to focus on specific areas of research.
At a guess I'd say it's a knife blade. The blunt end would be fitted with a wood or bone handle. A utensil, not a weapon. It might date from any period up to the 18th/19th century.
Nathan Ross
If it's a knife it's a dagger. What kitchen knife is double sided?
The type of metal is likely to effect its probable age and original location, if its bronze/copper then I would say an Early bronze age dagger, see "guide catalogue of the bronze age  collections" national museum of wales, it has a typology on page 52.... though its european orientated, could also be a broken sword tip reworked.

the description is of a roughly triangular tanged or riveted blade, I've seen similar iron daggers from the middle-east with no real provinance as well...

Some Hallstatt era finds seem similar as well see : Zürn, Hallstattzeitliche Grabfunde but they seem a bit larger and its unclear if the their tanged.

Egypt: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/digi...agger.html

Early Medieval: http://archaeomaterials.co.uk/Blakelock%...knives.pdf

Medieval see: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knives-Scabbard...1843833530

On balance I'd say its not a typical Roman knife and more likely a weapon and if so and bronze, then I doubt its roman, if iron and european... almost any time later then the bronze age.

It could just as easily be medieval though knives are typically single edged.

A metalurgical analysis would probably answers some questions here...

Though I'm no expert !
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(11-16-2016, 04:25 AM)Bryan Wrote: If it's a knife it's a dagger. What kitchen knife is double sided?

It is more likely a tool, not a weapon. As Nathan said, it could date anywhere up to the 19th century. The metallurgical composition will give a better idea what it is and when it was made. The shape tells us nothing without knowing context. I'd bet money that it isn't Roman

FWIW there were plenty of kitchen knives that were double edged. The dining utensils were used like forks to spear pieces of food.

[Image: 2008BU3732_jpg_ds.jpg] [Image: knife2.jpg] [Image: b990ebfa042e832b7b9c3e98fc98ead2.jpg]

[Image: 6eb16e61f34857790aad33741691494b.jpg]

[Image: 283d4d5e168bb94328752c5385e1a0f5.jpg]
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
The museum has identified the object as a Roman era 'lance head'. They don't give the Roman name so I'm assuming it is likely either a contus or lancea head. A contus was a two handed cavalry lance and a lancea was more of a javelin type weapon used by infantry.

I haven't found any useable images of actual conti to compare the artifact's shape to. The lancea images I've been finding have a socket instead of a tang for affixing it to a shaft. So I'm still a bit puzzled over the actual identification and usage. If it is truly a 'lance head' then it is likely a contus. If however it was a Roman 'lancea' and was later translated into English as a 'lance head' it had a different role.

Thoughts on a contus vs. lancea and on the tang vs. a socket for affixing it to a shaft? References that could help with additional research?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman pilum: bending or penetrating weapon? CaesarAugustus 9 1,588 08-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Late Roman Unit Titles - By Weapon Mithras 2 3,328 03-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Help identifying this Roman cavalryman Caballo 7 1,972 03-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis