Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornelius Sabinus
Avete,

I recently read that Cornelius Sabinus, one of the Praetorian Colonels who assassinated Caligula, was at one point a gladiator. Is this true? If so, what is his story?

Valete,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.
Hi there Aedon

I found the following tucked away in Josephus, Book 19, Ch1.15

Quote:When, therefore, these German guards understood that Caius was slain, they were very sorry for it, because they did not use their reason in judging about public affairs, but measured all by the advantages themselves received, Caius being beloved by them because of the money he gave them, by which he had purchased their kindness to him; so they drew their swords, and Sabinus led them on. He was one of the tribunes, not by the means of the virtuous actions of his pro genitors, for he bad been a gladiator, but he had obtained that post in the army by his having a robust body. So these Germans marched along the houses in quest of Caesar's murderers, and cut Asprenas to pieces, because he was the first man they fell upon, and whose garment it was that the blood of the sacrifices stained, as I have said already, and which foretold that this his meeting the soldiers would not be for his good.

Hope this helps.[/b]
Ave Gashford,

Yes, this excerpt is what gave me the impression Sabinus had been a gladiator. What confuses me about this excerpt is that it states that Sabinus led the German bodyguard against his fellow conspirators. This doesn't seem like something he would do, considering his later actions.

I guess I will probably never know. Thanks for your help!

Vale,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.
Quote:it states that Sabinus led the German bodyguard against his fellow conspirators.

I seem to remember something about exactly that happening. Self-preservation's a great motivator :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!