Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celt auxilia
Avete,
In addition to my query about the clipeus,

1) what sort of cingulum would be likely for Celt auxilia from Gaul, mid 1st C AD? I don't suppose the heavily ornamented Legionary ones would be used, but how simplified should they be?

2) tunics: long or short sleeved? Color to match the legion, or native plaids/stripes?

having a little trouble getting our unit gear together, mostly owing to lack of information.

Valete,
M. Demetrius
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Could I also add- would the wearing of a torque be acceptable?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
1. actually apron belts are derived from some gallic belts, apron belts work, as do native celtic belts, decoration would have been to personal preferance most likely.

2. both IMHO with regulation probably most common.

torques are fine, even some romans wore torques as a reward for bravery.

what unit are you? our units should get together. I am th commander of coh I NERVIORUM
aka., John Shook
I have a torque myself.
Maybe we should add Celtic Army Talk?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
With the first topic being "Careless torque costs lives"? :lol:
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
groan .......
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
In our unit of first century auxilia we have a spread of clothing from peregrini of the early 1st C to Romanised early 2nd C.

Some of our soldiers wear check weave bracae and others Romanised feminalia a la Trajans Column.

I wear a long sleaved native tunic (Like the one on the tombstone of T. Flavius Bassus) with the turned-back cuffs, but in the colour designated for our unit (green) There are a variety of greens and a variety of fabrics used for our tunics including a green check weave.

Following the Batavian revolt, the auxilia were possibly made to look more 'Roman'.

Certainly until the reign of Galba, 68-69 AD, the Batavi horseguard kept their Germanic appearance.

In 99AD, the new emperor Trajan brought the Equites Singulari Augusti to Rome. He saw to it that they looked as ‘Roman’ as possible. Like frontier troops of the line, they wore sleeveless or short-sleeved tunics and knee-length breeches. (Feminalia). This suggests to me that when the troops were on campaign or in the field that they wore 'un-Roman' clothing, namely long sleeves and long trousers.

Vive la difference!

Peroni