Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glossary of Roman army terminology
Salve,<br>
<br>
I will look forward to seeing the Russian version, maybe then I will be able to understand more of your site. There are only very few words in Russian that I can recognise and understand. The Latin terms included between the Cyrillic offer only tantalising glimpses of the content to me.<br>
<br>
One of the problems surrounding artillery terminology, also found with other terms for weapons, is that authors in Antiquity did not apply a standardised vocabulary. Therefore I choose to use the more general term of torsion gun instead of a more detailed definition. Artillery treatises generally seem to classify the various types a bit more precise than those of works of a more general nature. More extensive discussion of these words and their usage in the various sources is planned for the encyclopedia entries. Opening a separate discussion thread on the subject of artillery terminology may be a good idea to exchange references, ideas and interpretations.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Sander,<br>
<br>
As always an incredibly useful and unbelievably generous contribution.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Could duumvir be added to the list Sander? Or is that more of a civil title? <p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The <em>duumvir navalis</em> was a military functionary in republican times.<br>
<br>
There are a couple of dozen other terms that need to be added, but that will have to wait some time.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
One nooblike question, what does "Salve" mean? I see it at the begining of everyones post and I am a newcomer here. Don't rub it in! <p>† In Hoc Signo Vinces †</p><i></i>
<em>Salve</em> or <em>Salvete</em> means "greetings" or "hello"<br>
<em>Vale</em> means "farewell"<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Terminology Greek-Latin Julian de Vries 3 1,466 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  terminology of generalship eugene 0 1,034 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Last Post: eugene
  terminology Q Anonymous 5 2,167 05-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Vincula