Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
too extreme variability
Hi guys.<br>
Read the following two articles that some of us posted in the thread 410 Roman Britain. Read them both as they say completely different things. What are your comments?<br>
<br>
Note: I flipped coin to avoid deciding which to list first. Hence there is no preference of mine and no intended bias in the order they appear. Each of you will have to deal with his own reactions.<br>
<br>
www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba68/index.shtml<br>
<br>
Then page down to find The Decline article<br>
www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba55/ba55feat.html#faulkne<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=goffredo>goffredo</A> at: 12/17/02 12:51:59 pm<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Yeesh. I'm glad I'm a fiction writer. I am not worried about absolute truths, just possiblilities. Even so this kind of stuff drives me nuts sometimes.<br>
<br>
I am currently doing research on Robert Burns because I am giving the Immortal Memory speech at our local Burns supper in January. James Mackay says at the beginning of his biography, "The entire life of Robert Burns is riddled with half-truths, contradictions and myths." It appears the same could be said of what we know of Roman history. Burns lived less than 300 years ago. How much harder to get the story straight from around 1600 years ago.<br>
<br>
When it comes to history, it seems there are a few things we actually know and the rest is theory and speculation. No getting around it. And even things that seem obvious may be misinterpreted.<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Hey roman gentlemen, don't forget that it usually happens with the contemporary history too...That's frustrating, is'nt it? But after all, fun: everyone could be right...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
"Desilite, inquit, commilitones, nisi vultis aquilam hostibus prodere" D.B.G. (4.25) <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine Strategikon Extreme Punishment Ironhand 9 3,109 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Extreme Weather Apparel Anonymous 1 1,273 02-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Carlton Bach