Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman boot compromise
Photo 
Would these make decent roman boots. I don't want anything too distant from the real roman boots.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Xavier
No. Late Roman boots (Cothurni, Zancae, Caligae, Carbatinae, Calcei, or Campagi depending on the type) are very different.

What are you looking for specifically? Do you have a particular depiction you're basing your kit off of, or anything? What period? What part of the empire?

Also, on a moderation note, can you please put your real first name in your signature? It's a forum rule.
Photo 
(11-16-2016, 03:36 AM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: No. Late Roman boots (Cothurni, Zancae, Caligae, Carbatinae, Calcei, or Campagi depending on the type) are very different.

What are you looking for specifically? Do you have a particular depiction you're basing your kit off of, or anything? What period? What part of the empire?

Also, on a moderation note, can you please put your real first name in your signature? It's a forum rule.

I don't have a kit yet, but these are the types of boots I'm interested in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Xavier
These aren't Late Roman. These are the 2nd Century Fell boots from Vindolanda and the 1st Century Mainz Calcei from... Mainz
(11-16-2016, 03:34 AM)Scipio Severus Wrote: Would these make decent roman boots. I don't want anything too distant from the real roman boots.

I would let you get away with it for a few shows until you get real Late Roman shoes.... Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
"Would these make decent roman boots. I don't want anything too distant from the real roman boots."

Generally these are not consistant with roman construction of footware, though some ancient shoes of "mocassin" type may look superficially similar, so the answer would be probably not.... at least on current evidence.

"I don't have a kit yet, but these are the types of boots I'm interested in."

Your shoes need to be consistant with the time you want to portray as shoe styles change quite dramatically throughout the life of the Roman Empire... so its best to choose a date range... 

Respectively the first is  a "Fellboot" Type circa 80-120AD, second and third "Mainz" Type late 1st century BC to perhaps mid 1st century on finds, and up to the early second century at least on sculptural evidence, I haven't seen any beyond this (yet) and its a common theme for sculptur's to copy from the past... so usually only take this as secondary evidence... personally I would limit them though to before 80ad ish...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867