Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incredibile Vize Cavalry helmet Reproduction
To All,

I was surfing the Web and saw Royal Oak Armoury's Jeff Hildebrandt's Facebook page where he completed the helmet described in the title.  If you get a chance, you need to have a look at this.  If you go to the Royal Oak Armoury website, there is the Facebook icon that takes you to the helmet.

It is truly a work of art.  The details are spot on.  Jeff has outdone himself and is in my opinion the foremost Roman armorer.  I have yet to see any reconstruction of cavalry helmets that rival this one.

Awesome work Jeff.....if you see this thread.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Thanks, Doc.

For those of you who don't use FB, here are a few pictures of the helmet I built. You can find more of it an other projects on my Flickr account, too.
[Image: 30461459750_bee6d6b1c3.jpg][Image: 30461457160_6d74e25786.jpg]
[Image: 30461454530_e06900e90c.jpg][Image: 30725337726_6210940d41.jpg][Image: 30461461410_dc3ce2d6f5.jpg]

The helmet is forged from two plates of brass - one for the bowl and one for he mask. The decoration was accomplished by the traditional technique of repoussé over pitch, and will be further decorated with silvering and gilding at a later date.

My website is royaloakarmoury.com. Thanks for looking!
Kudos to you! A beautiful reconstruction. :-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
thumbs up!
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
This is just... phenomenal.
Exceptionnal !!!
Beautiful!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Absolutely stunning work Jeff.....finest helmet I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing Doc and Jeff.

(11-03-2016, 06:31 PM)Doc Wrote: To All,

I was surfing the Web and saw Royal Oak Armoury's Jeff Hildebrandt's Facebook page where he completed the helmet described in the title.  If you get a chance, you need to have a look at this.  If you go to the Royal Oak Armoury website, there is the Facebook icon that takes you to the helmet.

It is truly a work of art.  The details are spot on.  Jeff has outdone himself and is in my opinion the foremost Roman armorer.  I have yet to see any reconstruction of cavalry helmets that rival this one.

Awesome work Jeff.....if you see this thread.

Totally agree Doc....thanks for sharing.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com