Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hierarchy of Rank of the army
HTML Comments are not allowed <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
On Ezboard tags eed to be enclosed in square brackets, [ and ].<br>
<br>
For the rank structure of the Roman army try this page. In the index there is a section hierarchy where previous discussions on the matter are grouped together.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Thx but i've been visited this page too.<br>
it seems it's not include all or a complete list of rankings.<br>
since i have visited other sites and see some other teams abt ranks. and i just messed up with them~ <p></p><i></i>
Sander,<br>
Your list is very good and I enjoyed browsing through it. Only thing I would like to see more of is the later ranks (Comes, Dux expanded).<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Salve,<br>
<br>
Ranking systems varied in the late Roman army, just as unit strength and organisation apears to have been non standardised and reflecting <em>ad hoc</em> arrangements. A cavalry unit's hierarchy is given as <em>tiro</em>, <em>eques</em>, <em>circitor</em>, <em>biarchus</em>, <em>centenarius</em>, <em>ducenarius</em>, <em>senator</em>, <em>primicerius</em>, <em>tribunus</em>. These ranks are also attested in other sources, both literary as well as epigraphic, and do not correspond to earlier cavalry ranking systems. It appears that, with the exception of <em>eques</em> and <em>circitor</em> which were differently termed (<em>miles</em> and probably <em>decanus</em>) among foot soldiers, a similar structure was adopted for both nfantry and cavalry units. This hierarchy probably coexisted for some time alongside earlier the earlier ranking system and only gradually extended to the entire army. Older terms such as <em>centurio</em> were only slowly replaced by new designations like <em>centenarius</em>, even found together within the same text.<br>
<br>
In earlier times <em>centuriones</em> are found mainly in the legionary and praetorian cavalry and in guard cavalry (<em>singulares</em>) with <em>decuriones</em> commanding cavalry squadrons in auxiliary horse formations. From the fourth century on though <em>centenarii</em>, <em>ordinarii</em> or <em>hekatontarchai</em> are regularly attested for all kinds of cavalry as well as infantry. The earlier ranking structure of the legionary centurionate now appears to have become more widespread (though as pointed out in this earlier thread there are some tantalising hints that may indicate similar arrangements in auxiliary units), even if in an adapted form. Thus a <em>ducenarius</em> was the equivalent of a <em>centurio prior</em> and <em>senatores</em> and <em>primicerii</em> equalled the <em>primi ordines</em>. It should be noted that though the post of <em>primipilus</em> still exited in the late empire, it had become an official tasked with certain taxations.<br>
<br>
As before in late Roman times it is not always easy to distinguish ranks and functions and various terms may be equivalent to the positions listed above rather than representing additional ranks. Thus a <em>campidoctor</em> may usually have ranked among the centurionate. Unit commanders were variously <em>praefecti</em> or <em>tribuni</em>, the term <em>praepositus</em> merely meaning commander and not firmly tied to a particular rank. It is also possible that additional hierarchies existed for which less evidence has survived. Thus it is unclear where the <em>exarchus</em> is to be fitted into the above pattern.<br>
<br>
Command arrangements above unit level differed. There were both regular command structures as well as provisional ones, using officers drawn both from the forces involved as well as detached from other staffs. <em>Duces</em> commanded provincial forces of <em>limitanei</em>. <em>Comites</em> were put in charge of minor field armies with the <em>magistri</em> commanding larger ones.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When would the rank of Praefectus be used in the Late Roman Army Tim Hare 3 1,351 11-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius Longovicium 175 70,738 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries
  Military Hierarchy of Late Roman Britain A. Flavius 3 2,241 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat