Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shell shock syndrome?
Quote: Vindex wrote: Another downside of modern warfare is the rapid removal from the battlefield due to air power (ie transport air craft). In May 2003, I was ordered home from Iraq at 0600 in the morning due to the immediate requirement to react to the declaration of the end of hostilities by President George Bush Jnr. At 0800 the next day I was sitting at home in Oxfordshire with a cup of tea being asked if I had had an "interesting" time by friends and neighbours...talk about isolation!!! LOL!

On a relevant note, I saw a History channel doc a while back on ancient warfare, after a battle Israelite sodliers were required to camp outside their city for a period of days (don't remember how long) and cleanse themselves, military historians seem to agree that this had maybe more of a practical than religious purpose, this time would have been spent with their brothers in arms and would have given some time to recover from the stress of battle and mourn those who were lost. I will not comment on the horrors of ancient vs modern warfare, suffice it to say that 'War Is Hell' regardless of the age.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad