Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water bottle / Canteen
I'm completly green about romans way to cary water.
I don't have on my mind keeping water at home but some mobile stuff to do it.

I know there is this round metal vessel but it was used for oil, right?

I know there are some clay vessels but they seem to me way to fragile to attach belt and carry on a shoulder. One bad move and such vessel may shatter.

Some leather maybe? Bronze?

Where Romans had held water during marches? There must be some portable and safe way to keep water with me?
Damian
(10-16-2016, 08:05 PM)Damianus Albus Wrote: Where Romans had held water during marches? There must be some portable and safe way to keep water with me?

A water skin....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(10-16-2016, 09:58 PM)Crispianus Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 08:05 PM)Damianus Albus Wrote: Where Romans had held water during marches? There must be some portable and safe way to keep water with me?

A water skin....

And do we know the shape of it?
How did it look?
Damian
(10-17-2016, 07:09 AM)Damianus Albus Wrote: And do we know the shape of it?
How did it look?

See "The Water Bag of the Roman Soldiers" by M. Volken, there are various discussions on Rat concerning "Water flasks" "Water bags"  "Water skins"  "Canteens" etc,  try a few searchs there are numerous posts...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks for PDF
Damian
https://www.amazon.com/cuir-pelleterie-l...2877722805

This book has several wineskin finds from the Empire. They seem like simple teardrop shaped ones.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
(10-17-2016, 08:43 AM)Damianus Albus Wrote: Thanks for PDF

Also came across a Canteen made from Esparto and sealed with resin... size unknown, a civil find from a mining area I think the date is 2nd-1st cent BC.

From Mazarrón currently in the Municipal Archaeological Museum of Cartagena, for a tidy sum its possible to buy a "replica" though I dont know if it works or is even very accurate?...

http://www.artesaniaconesparto.com/gb/ot...omana.html
Ivor

(10-18-2016, 09:00 PM)Crispianus Wrote:

Also came across a Canteen made from Esparto and sealed with resin... size unknown, a civil find from a mining area I think the date is 2nd-1st cent BC.

From Mazarrón currently in the Municipal Archaeological Museum of Cartagena, for a tidy sum its possible to buy a "replica" though I dont know if it works or is even very accurate?...

Holy....

For that amount of money I can buy 100% hand-made spatha with scabbard Big Grin
Damian
(10-19-2016, 02:43 PM)Damianus Albus Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 09:00 PM)Crispianus Wrote:

Holy....

For that amount of money I can buy 100% hand-made spatha with scabbard Big Grin

......sh*t   so can I.... Tongue

On a more serious note I guess it would be possible to make a copy (or have it made) from leather or (turned?) wood, as I doubt such things are made that way in more northern climes...
Ivor