Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Types of wood
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the various types of wood (oh the ignorance! ). Names like ash, cedar, oak and pine (as wood) are merely names to me and I'm unable to associate any particular qualities or properties to a type of wood. I'm curious about what sort of wood was used to contruct Roman weapons (the pilum especially), artillery and buildings and why a certain type of wood was chosen, i.e. what qualities did it have that made it suitable for making that object?<br>
<br>
If any of you kind folk could throw me a bone on this matter, I'd be most thankful. Details on the colour of wood-types would also be appreciated, since I've seen illustrators and modellers paint wood in various shades ranging from dark brown to a sandy colour. <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
Shafts for pila and spears of any type were traditionally ash, a light-colored wood which was known to be best for that purpose (strong and doesn't split easily). I don't know if any other type of wood is known to have been used for pila, but I used hickory on one (reasonably similar to ash), and I know folks have used oak.<br>
<br>
Oak is likely to have been used for catapults and siege engines, probably for a lot of buildings, too. It's just strong and durable. Cedar was also used for certain building projects (e.g., the Temple in Jerusalem)--not sure if it had specific good building qualities, but it is aromatic, and bugs don't like it (hence the moth-proof cedar chest).<br>
<br>
Walnut is dark, like chocolate, and a real joy to work with. It is VERY common on reconstructed gladius hilts, but I do not know if it was actually used on the originals. The only wood hilt parts I have seen that were identified as to their species were maple.<br>
<br>
It is also common, unfortunately, for reenactors to stain their wooden items to a darker shade. This should NOT be done! Stains are used to make modern cheap pine furniture look like expensive cherry or walnut, and apparently this look has, ah, ingrained itself in modern tastes. But a pilum was an expendable weapon, not fine furniture (or cheap furniture trying to look fine!), so it should look like natural ash. Sword hilts can be treated with a mix of linseed oil and turpentine (there was another thread about this), to preserve the wood and keep it from drying out and shrinking or cracking. Oiled wood will naturally darken with age, and always looks nicer than some cheesy stain finish anyway.<br>
<br>
Pine is all right for burning. Some types make nice Christmas trees, but I prefer a balsam fir.<br>
<br>
For seeing how different woods look, best to head for the local lumber store, or better yet a specialty wood store or even a wood furniture place, and browse around. Pine and other evergreens are "softwoods" while deciduous types are generally "hardwoods", but not all hardwood is actually harder than all softwood. Most modern building lumber (2x4's, plywood, etc.) is pine or fir, though other types are available. But you'll probably end up at a specialty wood store if you want long pieces of ash for weapon shafts, or nice blocks of walnut or maple for hilts.<br>
<br>
Hope that gets you started! Good luck and Vale,<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Leg.XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks Matthew for your detailed reply. Now I know why illustrators tend to depict pilum and spear shafts as a light sandy colour. I've painted the pila on my legionary figures in a similar shade and your reply comes as a relief to me so far as historical accuracy is concerned.<br>
<br>
What about dark coloured wood for spear shafts (which I'm sure existed)? Was there a naturally occuring dark wood used for such spears or were the shafts stained/polished to achieve a darker hue? <p></p><i></i>
Auxillia,<br>
<br>
I think the only dark woods out there are maybe cherry, and black walnut. But I tell you, my pilum is made from ash, and it is getting fairly dark now, since it's been oiled for about a year or so. Also, I re-made my gladius pommel and handguard out of maple, and it looks really sharp. <p>"A life lived day to day is a life truly lived."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>