Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spiculum vice Pilum
Can anyone explain why Vegetius used the word spiculum? Was this truly a different weapon from the pilum or just an evolution?<br>
<br>
Perry <p></p><i></i>
Here's a website that discusses the problem and also gives a couple of sources to look for:<br>
<br>
scissorblades.tripod.com/...s/id8.html<br>
<br>
and here's the section that mentions it:<br>
<br>
"A less certain development is the replacement of the old Pilum with the Spiculum, mentioned by the author Vegetius. There is great scholarly doubt(60) about what Vegetius means when he mentions this change.<br>
Some claim that the Spiculum was designed to be lighter, allowing greater quantities to be poured on the enemy before contact. It may also have been designed so that it could be thrust as well as thrown(61). The old Pilum could not be thrust, as it was designed to bend or break on impact(62). Thrusting weapons would have been useful against Sasanid horsemen.<br>
However, lack of archeological evidence(63) means that we must wait to see for certain if the Spiculum actually existed, or was only a new name for a Pilum. "<br>
<br>
There's certainly no reason given in the notes of Milner's translation. <p>Veni Vidi Bibi</p><i></i>
Thanks. I read through his essay. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius, the pilum and the spiculum ValentinianVictrix 22 6,151 03-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs