Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duelling?
Hello all,<br>
<br>
Sometime ago I became interested in ancient duelling but I never got anywhere with it. I am trying to track down a couple of stories and books and wondered whether anyone could help me.<br>
<br>
1. Does anyone know of any serious study that has been conducted into Roman duelling, its reasons, laws and any sources? The concepts of virtus and primarium bellatorum seem to lay the way for duels to have taken place in the ancient world. There are some republican references to being able to fight before any other virtue (Wiedemann).<br>
<br>
2. I have read a story of two brothers that went to the town to seek their fortunes, after being given their shares of the family farm. They have the money stolen, enter a prize fight in which one of them is badly maimed but they win the money. Does anyone know who wrote the story or better still have a proper copy of it?<br>
<br>
Thanks for any help that you can offer.<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Graham, do you mean dueling between citizens, or legates and tribal chieftans? <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Hello<br>
<br>
Duelling pretty much anywhere will help, no preference.<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
I have an article somewhere called 'Single combat in the Roman Republic' or something like it. I will dig it out if I can and give a full reference.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Hi,<br>
<br>
That references is:<br>
S. Oakley 'Single combat in the Roman republic' Classical Quarterly 35 (1985), 392-410.<br>
<br>
Another is:<br>
T. Wiedemann 'Single combat and being Roman' Ancient Society 27 (1996), 91-103.<br>
<br>
These were both listed on Sander's bibliography (members.tripod.com/~S_van...blio.html)<br>
<br>
Any other references should be there and I don't know anything more recent.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9