Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gymnasia
Does anyone (Sander, I'm looking at you, mate.) have a resource for the types of "weights" Roman soldiers used for training? I learned recently one of the tools they used was similar (if not exactly the same as) to an Indian club. <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
_____________________________________________<BR>
The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love,<br>and sincerity.
The heart of martial valor is bravery,<br> wisdom, love, and friendship.
-- <i>Ueshiba Morihei</i>
<BR>
_____________________________________________</font></p><i></i>
Also, any references to their training regimens regarding physical fitness, aside from the forced marches and combat training? <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I think I've hit on a system at least resembling what they must have done because I'm getting leaner and stronger without putting on more mass. In fact I'm starting to get a little smaller, which is fine with me.<br>
<br>
I think I was getting a little too bulky... <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
<BR>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The mere fact that I carry a lot of weight around does not make me an expert on weights. Greek vases depict athletes jumping holding weights shaped like a letter J. Lead examples in the shape of a letter D of 2.05 and 1,76 kg are illustrated in a booklet of an exhibition of athletics in Antiquity. I have no idea about Roman examples. References to Roman soldiers training do not record any iron pumping, the training in armour and equipment would have ensured that plenty of energy was burned and muscle mass developed.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander <p></p><i></i>
Not to mention building projects. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Sander - E EM<br>
<br>
You're the man when it comes to Roman history. That's why I asked. I wasn't expecting them to have "weights" as we use use them now, but I've seen at least one show in which the narrator referred to "resistance training" that took place in a gymnasium. <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
<BR>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Weights were used in civilian life, I am just not aware of references in a specifically Roman military context.<br>
<br>
For training and exercise of the Roman army with references see:<br>
<br>
Davies, R., <i> Service in the Roman army</i> (Edinburgh 1989) 336p.<br>
<br>
Vegetius describes physical exercise such as marching, running, jumping and swimming as part of the soldier's training regime.<br>
<br>
Latin text of Vegetius, <i> Epitoma</i> 1<br>
<br>
Milner, N.P., <i> Vegetius: epitome of military science</i> (Liverpool 1993) 152p.<br>
<br>
Greek Vase illustrating jumping with weights<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/16/02 2:32:06 pm<br></i>
Ah, OK. Thanks. Just the sort of thing I'm after regarding the weight training. Do you have historical resources for what kind of equipment the civilians used?<br>
<br>
I'm getting information for an acquaintence who's selling Indian clubs, and I told him about their use in Rome. He wants to use that information in his manual, but I don't have any acutal scholarly references...just some stuff I saw on TV. <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
<BR>
_____________________________________________</font></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ushogunnorin.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Shogun no Rin</A> at: 8/16/02 2:21:53 pm<br></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
No thanks, you are welcome.<br>
<br>
More info on <i> halteres</i><br>
<br>
I will try and find some more on Roman rather than Greek use of weights and see tomorrow if the <i> RE</i> has something to tell on use of weights.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Seneca complains about the noises made in the bathhouse by those exercising or pretending to do so.<br>
<br>
<i> Epistulae morales</i> 56<br>
<br>
<i> ... cum fortiores exercentur et manus plumbo graves iactant, cum aut laborant aut laborantem imitantur...</i><br>
<br>
'... when the braver ones are exercising and throw their hands around heavy with a lead weight, when they work out or imitate one who works out...'<br>
<br>
Most major Roman military installations had a bathhouse of their own for the soldier's relaxation.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<br>
Addendum<br>
<br>
The <i> RE</i> article on the <i> halteres</i> stated that cylindrical examples became more common in Roman times and referenced several statues of athletes, a wall painting from Pompeii and an actual example in the British Museum. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/17/02 11:02:26 am<br></i>
I believe Heron invented an exercise machine. I have no idea if the Romans utilized it let alone if legionaries used it. However, with the facilities available in the towns I'm sure Rome's soldiers made good use of them during down time. I'd look into it a bit more but I've got to hit the good old bed right now. <p></p><i></i>
I don't know how much use this will be, but the weights Sander describes sound almost like Russian kettlebells which have been around for quite a long time. I don't know their actual history, but have seen Red Army films from the thirties and forties explaining their use in Soviet military P.T. regimens. I do know that their use started much further back. <p></p><i></i>
That's another reason I'm looking into it. I use giryas (kettlebells) when I work out, so I'm wondering if it would be authentic for me to use them at re-enactments. <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
<BR>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Praetorian version of the \'Hippika Gymnasia\' ? Theodosius the Great 6 2,127 06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great