Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio X Fretensis
I am new to Roman Army Talk, and from what I can tell it looks like a great group of people.<br>
<br>
I am a writer and am working on a story which takes place during the first half of the first century AD. It takes place in and around the Tenth. Since I demand (of myself) historical accuracy, I have a few questions to ask.<br>
<br>
1. What is the amount of detail I can expect to find about the Legio X Fretensis when doing my research? I would to find out what their involvement was on Crete. Was Crete a stop over between Italy and the Mid-East?<br>
<br>
2. Was this particular legion used in a similar fashion as are the more present day Marines? Where might I look for this type information?<br>
<br>
3. Is it possible to find out specific names of some of the various commanders during this time?<br>
<br>
4. As for their shield design. I have seen several different examples of their shield and standard designs. Where might I find accurate information?<br>
<br>
For now this is it.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Milton<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Milton,<br>
Welcome to Roman Army Talk, and it's a good thing you left it at these questions, there plenty!<br>
<br>
1. The level of detail is relatively low, especially for the first half of the first century CE. The Legion was during that period in different camps in the province of Syria. No evidence is mentioned for Crete. That was certainly no stopover for units on their way to the east. The normal route was either Northern Italy across Aquileia or Brundisium-Dyrrhachium and then across the Balkans to Byzantium into Asia Minor.<br>
<br>
2. Very interesting question! You'll find no literature on that though (as yet, I am working on it). In short: Fretensis definitely had origins in naval functions, which possibly lead to a tradition. But in Syria it didn't have much occasion for it until the Jewish Revolt.<br>
<br>
3. Yeah, be more specific for the period. Trajan's father for instance was commander of Fretensis at the start of the Jewish revolt. More info: E. Dabrowa, Legio X Fretensis. A Prosopographical Study of its Officers (I-III c. AD) (Stuttgart 1993)<br>
<br>
4. Shield design? No idea. For their Trireme and Dolphin standard symbols, you're best source will be photographs of tiles made by the legion, and stamped with the above. Not sure if there is any literature on this. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the info. I have checked several history book stores and web sites, but am unable to locate Dabrowa's book. I am familiar with it, but have never been able to find a copy. Any ideas?<br>
<br>
Thanks again,<br>
Milton <p></p><i></i>
University library? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
If that's Edward Dabrowa, you can try the used book search engines, but I haven't seen that book there. Try setting this as a want at Abebooks and if it shows up they'll email you. Or try Bookfinder as well.<br>
<br>
www.abebooks.com<br>
<br>
www.bookfinder.com<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
It is him. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Salve,<br>
<br>
Steiner, which publishes the <i> Historia Einzelschriften</i> series, still offers the book (29 euro), see this page.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/14/02 4:33:58 pm<br></i>
Sander van Dorst,<br>
<br>
Thanks, I'll check it out.<br>
<br>
Milton <p></p><i></i>
I got my copy of the book mentioned through Amazon.de. The book is written in English.<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I also picked-up a copy from Amazon.com.de. However, after a quick search, seems they no longer carry it. I'd submit a search to Alibris or abebooks. <p><a href=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic><u>Rules For Posting</u>

</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio Fretensis X Anonymous 12 4,478 03-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs