Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexillarii legionis
Avete!<br>
What does mean actually the expression "vexillarii legionis"?<br>
I always related the word "vexillarii" with "vexillatio", to mean the soldiers of a detachment of a particular unit or "vexillatio".<br>
However I read that the vexillarii formed a corps of veterans attached to each legion which comprised the most aged personnel of the unit.<br>
Were the vexillarii simply the soldiers of a detachment/vexillatio or something related to the veterans of the legion?<br>
<br>
Best Regards,<br>
Luciano. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
This matter was the subject of this earlier thread.<br>
<br>
For the <i> vexilarii</i> and veterans in the Roman army, read the article by Mann in:<br>
<br>
Alföldi, G., B. Dobson and W. Eck (eds.), <i> Kaiser, Heer und Gesellschaft in der Römischen Kaiserzeit</i> (Stuttgart 2000), 509p.<br>
<br>
<i> Vexillarii</i> refers to men belonging to a <i> vexillatio</i>. The <i> vexillum veteranorum</i> was only one type of such provisional units, others formed from the legions for various purposes and in different manners when required.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Some info on veterans lifted from the earlier discussion on the <i> triarii</i>.<br>
<br>
According to Tacitus <i> Annales</i> 3,21 (<i> ...vexillum veteranorum, non amplius quingenti numero...</i> 'a task force of veterans, not more than fivehundred in number...') there would have been about five hundred veterans in a <i> vexillum veteranorum</i>.<br>
<br>
Some, not all, texts mentioning officials associated with such veteran groups.<br>
<br>
<i> CIL</i> 5, 4903<br>
<br>
L(ucius) Salvius | C(ai) f(ilius) Fab(ia) | vexillarius | veter(anorum) leg(ionis) IIII sibi | et Popiliai(!) | T(iti) l(ibertae) | Hispan[a]i et Capito | ni f(ilio) et Priscai f(iliae) et<br>
| Firmo f(ilio)<br>
<br>
'Lucius Salvius, son of Caius, from the Fabian voting district, flagbearer of the veterans of the <i> legio</i> IIII for himself and Popilia Hispana, freedwomen of Titus, and his son Capito, his daughter Prisca and his son Firmus'<br>
<br>
<i> AE</i> 1969/70, 133<br>
<br>
] Salvius L(uci) f(ilius) | Pol(lia) Celer vet(eranus) leg(ionis) IIII Scy(thicae) curator | adl(ectus) veter(anorum) aed(ilis) IIvir q(uinquennalis) | mil(itavit) eques an(nos) XXX vix(it) an(nos) LV | hic s(itus) est | Blassia Felicula uxor | | Antonia Fortunata A(ulus) Titinius Italus<br>
<br>
'... Salvius Celer, son of Lucius, from the Pollian voting district, veteran of <i> legio</i> IIII <i> Scythica</i>, selected <i> curator</i> of the veterans, <i> aedilis</i>, member of the commission of two, <i> quinqennalis</i> has served as a cavalryman for 30 years. He has lived 55 years. He is buried here. Blassia Felicula, his wife, Antonia Fortunata, Aulus Titinius Italus'<br>
<br>
<i> CIL</i> 5, 3375<br>
<br>
L(ucius) Sertorius L(uci) f(ilius) | Pob(lilia) Firmus | signif(er) aquil(ifer) leg(ionis) XI | Claud(iae) Piae Fidelis | missus curat(or) veter(anorum) | leg(ionis) eiusdem | Domitiae L(uci) f(iliae) | Priscae uxori<br>
<br>
'Lucius Sertorius Firmus, son of Lucius, from the Poblilian voting district, standardbearer, eaglebearer of <i> legio</i> XI <i> Claudia pia fidelis</i>, retired, <i> curator</i> of the veterans of the same legion for Domitia Prisca, daughter of Lucius, his wife'<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Thanks a lot for all your ready and very exhaustive replies.<br>
<br>
Best Regards,<br>
Luciano Bassotti. <p></p><i></i>