Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-iron Helmets, brass or bronze?
I've been collecting books on Roman military and I'm confused. The books, particularly Dan Perterson's book say bronze, but the reconstructions look to me like brass. Was bronze different back then? <p></p><i></i>
Both bronze (alloy of tin and copper) and brass (zinc and copper) were used for Roman helmets. 'Bronze' tends to be misused (especially by archaeologists) for any copper alloy with a degree of antiquity.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Geez...and these are them there collegiaites. Edumicated in dem big skools. <p></p><i></i>
The alloy we know today as "brass" was known to the Romans as Orichulum and is a copper zinc alloy as opposed to "bronze", which is a copper tin alloy. Zinc may have been a "strategic" material controlled by the Roman government, as it occurs commonly in coinage (the big Sesterce coin is made of it) and military equipment, and but much less so in "civilian" contexts. The only generalization one can make in Roman cupric alloy helmet composition is that the earlier helmets (pre-AD) are usually "bronze", and afterwards one must take and analyse each helmet on a case by case basis. To generalize, the Coolus and Montefortino series helmets (the ones I primarily referred to in the book), were probably more common in bronze, and the cupric Imperial Gallic helmets were made of brass. Perhaps the former, simpler helmets were primarily made by civilian contractors who also made assorted bronze pots and other cooking ware, whereas the brass imperial Gallics were probably made by an "Imperial Armoury" with access to brass. Most cupric alloy Roman helmets retain their patina, and if not formally analyzed (most have not), you can never say for sure. I will say though, that far too many cooking pots, patera etc in the Roman hobby are brass, when they should be bronze. I do not know if tests have ever been conducted to determine which material is stronger, though I have found that it is easier to keep a brass helmet shiny. Bronze tarnishes quickly with just normal handling.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brass helmets versus bronze helmets jkaler48 8 3,052 03-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Montefortinos: Brass or Bronze? Poftim 7 2,211 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  Brass/bronze Vs. Steel/iron helmets arklore70 18 6,185 02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Celt