Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relic of One of Varus\' "Lost" Legions
While browsing this rather useful historical catalogue of Roman legions , I found this article on Legio XIX which included this picture of a pot sherd inscribed Prin(ceps) Leg(ionis) XIX". Does anyone know where this sherd was found?<br>
<br>
My guess would be Cologne, but any information would be welcome.<br>
<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<BR>
<P>
Visit Clades Variana - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>

</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Hi Tim!<br>
Very good guess! The fragment has indeed been found “here“ in Cologne and has made its way through various publications, mostly of the popular kind, since - but without proper documentation of the excavations during which it was found. The discussion about the graffito on it has taken place almost exclusively in a non-written form so far and a lot of questions therefore remain unanswered.<br>
<br>
The fragment is from a small <i> terra sigillata</i>/samian ware bowl of more or less augustan date ("Arretina" ware = manufactured in or around Arretium/modern Arezzo in Italy) “found in the lowermost layers of the ‘Domhof‘ excavations“. These diggings took place in the late sixties and touched wide areas (between 1 and 11/2 hectares) to the west and south of the Cologne Cathedral. Where exactly our fragment was found remains undetectable for the moment – but rumor has it that now (finally!) they want to give the material and documentation of these excavations to somebody for examination and publication.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks Martin - very useful.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<BR>
<P>
Visit Clades Variana - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>

</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oddity regarding third of Varus' legions' eagles ParthianBow 3 2,455 06-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Crassus\' Lost Legions Dangun 3 2,030 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning