Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Praefectus Castrorum...
What kind of armour would this rank have worn? Muscled? Mail? Scale? <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus<BR>
CO/Optio,<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<BR>
(Matt)</p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Positions held by <i> praefecti castrorum</i> before they got promoted included those of <i> primus pilus</i> and legionary <i> tribunus</i>. Judging by the kind of armour in which such officers are depicted (eg the <i> primus ordo</i> M. Caelius and the officer types on Trajan's column) a muscled cuirass seems the most appropriate type of body armour.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Sander....I was wondering why no one would answer that one....I thought maybe it was something I should know, or that it was tabu. Thanks! <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus<BR>
CO/Optio,<BR>
(Matt)</p><i></i>
The Praefectus Castrorum was usually previously a Prime Pilus before his appointment. He was probably rather wealthy, and had enough influence and clout that he could wear whatever he chose. He might wear really fancy armor for parade, with all of his awards, torcs, medals, crowns, hasta pura and banners that were awarded to him, and carried by his staff for parade, or he might wear his favorite hamata that he had worn for the past few years as a senior centurion. Each one would probably have had different armor. I am not aware of a definitive study of a certain symbol of rank for this position, but then , he was probably well known by all of the people who mattered, and didn't need a special symbol.<br>
Of course, this would also depend in which time, unit and location the Praefectus Castrotum existed. The armor and outfit might differ significantly from the time of Tiberius to the time of Constantine and from Egypt to Britain. <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Good point Caius, one really has to wonder how much uniform variance there was between the east and west legions. Praefectus would be an interesting rank to portray, since, like you say, there seems to be a variety of different uniforms he may have worn.<br>
<br>
Thanks. <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus<BR>
CO/Optio,<BR>
(Matt)</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on the deployment of auxiliaries and the praefectus castrorum's role Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 11 1,507 04-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Sources about the praefectus castrorum Principe Alessandro 22 5,164 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  The Role & Status of "Praefectus Castrorum" C.Armiger 24 7,008 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell