Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conjecturing: high-ranking Roman officer, campaign dress
I think interpreting the Roman "lorica plumata" as meaning an armor of "scales resembling feathers that were attached to the base of a finely made chain mail shirt" (which is the popular modern interpretation) is somewhat problematic.<br>
<br>
Referring to Parthian cataphracts, Justin says:<br>
<br>
"Munimentum ipsis equisque loricae plumatae sunt, quae utrumque toto corpore tegunt."<br>
<br>
Now, Parthia's great wealth seems to have been well distributed among the petty nobility, so I don't doubt the average cataphract could have afforded such an expensive armor, had he wanted to. However, I'm less willing to accept the idea that the heavy Parthian charger could have borne the weight of a full bard of such armor, AND his fully armored rider, and not collapsed after the first few paces.<br>
<br>
Simple logic, and the complete horse bards from Dura Europas, tend to suggest that Justin was using "loricae plumatae" to refer to any standard scale armor. Though I suppose it may also mean any scale armor where each scale has a central ribbed boss, or possibly any scale armor not done in the Roman fashion, i.e. any scale armor where each scale is not wired to it's neighbor.<br>
<br>
Gregg<br>
<p></p><i></i>
could not the tunics you mentioned be artistic liscence? <p></p><i></i>
Ummm...since no one answered my question in a thread I made, and we are on the topic of officers...what did the rank of Praefectus Castrorum wear as far as armour? <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus<BR>
CO/Optio,<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<BR>
(Matt)</p><i></i>
As far as helmets are concerned the only one I know of that definitely belonged to an officer --tribune and above-- is a 1st century AD italo-corinthian found at Autun, in France. And this one is a real piece of work..<br>
Some 3rd cent. AD sarcophagii with battle scenes show this type of helmet worn by officers.<br>
Wearing this type of helmet which the Romans probably considered as a "greek" helmet would fit in well with the "greek" muscled cuirass and pteryges.<br>
The Autun helmet, BTW, is one of the ugliest pieces of roman equipment ever found, if not the ugliest.. EM <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army on Campaign sjsobolewski 2 1,191 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Military dressing of roman high-rank officers eugene 2 1,606 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus
  50000 Roman dead in Severus\' Caledonian campaign? Cipher 14 3,290 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Epictetus