Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wounds and infections
Antibiotics?? Try Honey <p></p><i></i>
So how come when you step on a rusty nail, or something like that, everyone tells you to go get a tetanus shot? (if you haven't gotten one in a while?)<br>
<br>
Did anyone watch that show on the Discovery Channel about the Swedish...or was it Swiss....Flagship called the Kronan? Anyway, they found the wreck, and there was all kinds of interesting forensic evidence on the bones they found pertaining to certain types of wounds made by axes, swords, cutlasses...it was rather fascinating. They could basically tell the type of weapon that marred the bone by holding an axe blade or sword up to it, and if the key fit, that was the one. Very cool. <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus<BR>
CO/Optio,<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<BR>
(Matt)</p><i></i>
Uhm, Tib, despite the size of Lake Geneva, a Swiss navy is quite superfluous. Switzerland has no access to the sea.<br>
Anyway, I think the point is that you have to get a tetanus shot everytime a wound comes into contact with possibly infected areas. Of course the chance of getting a wound is larger with pointy iron bits. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Tiberius Lantanius Magnus wrote:<br>
<br>
"So how come when you step on a rusty nail, or something like that, everyone tells you to go get a tetanus shot? (if you haven't gotten one in a while?)."<br>
<br>
The rusty part is an old wives' tale. ANY puncture wound caused by a contaminated object--rusty or not--can cause tetanus. The rust is irrelevant.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Actually, tetanus spores are harbored in and commonly found in both dirt <i> and</i> rust. Hardly a "wives tale". <p><a href=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic><u>Rules For Posting</u>

</p><i></i>
Actually, a lot of people died of tetanos in pre vaccine times because of roses.<br>
The thorns...<br>
It was sometimes called "the gardeners' disease" in french.<br>
Someone mentioned honey. Is it good at fighting infection?<br>
Another way to avoid gangrene is maggots. Disgusting but quite efficient. The little buggers eat the dead flesh on the wound, thus avoiding gangrene.<br>
And alcohol was mentioned. Did the Romans know the distillation process? I've never seen anything about that. I vaguely remember reading that liquor was invented during the middle ages --as a medecine -- but I could be wrong.<br>
No one mentioned cauterization. I've always wondered why this helped control infection, BTW.. Closing the wound? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 4/23/02 11:29:01 am<br></i>