Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Naval Machaira?
So in an effort to build a Greek arsenal, I have been trying to research things which have been less widely used as Xiphos and Kopis in Classical Greece (and the surrounding centuries).  The Koryvantes Association has a publication that talks of a naval machaira of some sort, with an illustration to go along with it.
[Image: 5426669936_4d98cd998f_o-e1412071943569.jpg?w=750]
The problem is that I haven't been able to find any other information about this type of sword, and I'm not going to be able to start a new build based solely on this one illustration. 
If anyone has some information about this kind of sword and any pictures that would be incredibly helpful. 
Here's a link to the page: https://koryvantesstudies.org/studies-in...page112-2/ - It is in Greek so you may have to use a translator. 

Graham
Don't trust this illustration and ANY of the information on weapons and shields that has been illustrated in the same manner. They are dubious at best, and often imaginary. https://ellas2.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/...%BC%CE%BF/

The said naval machaera is complete fantasy, "based" and one single vase of a hoplite holding a sword that could be anything, but most probably depicts a kopis which looks funny because the artist tried to confine the image in a circular kylix...The fantasy sword has then been illustrated in some not-so-accurate magazines and illustrations like this one
[Image: a556fea2.jpg]

But in case i am mistaken, why don't you contact them and ask? I'm sure they will provide you with all the evidence that you need...
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
yeah, it actually quite funny when ancient vase makers make some obvious adjustments in graphic so they can fit it on a vase, and then modern day "historians" see this as a proof of something "revolutionary" and fill the internet with such "proof"
Jaroslav Jakubov
I think with most historical slashing weapons the hilt would need some sort of either knuckle guard, enlarged bell at the bottom of the grip, or a large pommel to keep the weapon from slipping out of the sword hand grip. The design in the OP doesn't have that, it looks like a good hard swing with sweaty hands would send that sword sailing through the air into the distance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The role of marines in Greek naval warfare Rizzio 0 1,475 07-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Rizzio
  Machaira, kopis, falcata Thersites 6 4,815 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Last Post: sitalkes