Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexillum bearer animal skin?
Hi there, my museum is hoping to present our new vexillum banner
For the orignal second Augusta legion's official birthday.
But apart from trajans column. Is there any evidence of what animal skin
If a animal at all the vexillum bearer wore????
(09-16-2016, 08:00 AM)Sam Steele Wrote: Hi there, my museum is hoping to present our new vexillum banner
For the orignal second Augusta legion's official birthday.
But apart from trajans column. Is there any evidence of what animal skin
If a animal at all the vexillum bearer wore????

I expect you readily appreciate that we don't have much to go on, but for what it's worth or the 1-2 C AD, we really only have Trajan's column, ( half-a-dozen or so vexilla depicted) the Adamklissi monument (several vexilla epicted)and the odd gravestone e.g Gnaeus Musius, for standard bearers generally. Tentatively, it would appear that for infantry it was only signifers who wore animal skin head-dress. Praetorians had Lion-skin, with full mask including jaws; Legionary signifers wore Bearskins, again with full mask and jaws, while Auxilia signifers wore Bearskins with the mask cut away.

Aquilifers (Eagle bearers), Imaginifers ( Emperors Image bearers) and vexillifers ( cloth standard bearers) always seem to be depicted bare-headed even when wearing armour - half-a-dozen or so times on Trajan's column and three or four times on the Adamklissi monument.

Cavalry standard bearers don't seem to have worn animal skins, but did wear helmets.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
This is interesting me a lot.

"Legionary signifers wore Bearskins" is an important point. I would like to see some images where is undoubtely visible a bear rather than a lion or a leopard.
All the images I have accessed in many years shown lions and leopards only or "unidentified" animals that cannot be assessed as "bears".

So, because probably I didn't check all the evidences it would be very useful that someone would post on RAT some images of "bears" in order to prove the presence of such kind of animals on the standard bearers.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Cape Bearer'? Nathan Ross 15 3,682 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Last Post: saviour
  Auxillaries wearing animal skin covered helmets- help needed Caballo 21 5,830 10-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Last Post: L C Cinna
  Bronze standard bearer 1st C AD Caballo 0 962 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Caballo