Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindolanda iron ingot, with legionary marks?
Best guess interpretation of the marks on these Vindolanda finds are that they are legionary marks. But nice to find such raw material in a military context. 

http://www.vindolanda.com/_blog/excavation
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
(09-13-2016, 01:11 PM)richsc Wrote: Best guess interpretation of the marks on these Vindolanda finds are that they are legionary marks. But nice to find such raw material in a military context. 

http://www.vindolanda.com/_blog/excavation

"the inscription may have been etched onto the artefact whilst the ingot was still slightly molten"

Bit odd, the "molten" comment makes me think that this is thought to be cast, rather then forged from a bloom..
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
It compares in surface to a sand cast, but could be just hammered from a very hot mass?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
(09-13-2016, 02:03 PM)richsc Wrote: It compares in surface to a sand cast, but could be just hammered from a very hot mass?
I would say most likely hammered from a hot mass....
As far as I'm aware iron was not cast as such in the roman period though it could be produced by accidentally over heating a bloomery furnace.....  I dont know how big it is but the shape makes me think hammer head, the curved point the striking surface, the flattish end perhaps is broken.... but untill its been analysed I'd hold of making any assumption ...

The engaving could have been done with a set hammer or chisel when hot...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange marks near Legionary fortress - anyone seen something similar? Luka Bruketa 9 1,912 03-18-2018, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  What do you think this represents a cross marks? diyapolis 3 1,372 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Legion Stamps and Marks QFirmus 6 1,883 09-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius