Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese)
I am trying to compile a guide to the types of artefacts that are "normally" found on Roman battle sites and whilst I can find many articles listing the various articles that can and have been found, I'm struggling to find anything that gives the prevalence of Roman Battlefield finds by type.

I have finally tracked down what appears to be the best source which is at Kalkriese (the Varus battle?). I have searched extensively online and whilst many papers list various objects found, none list their number. So, my final option is to obtain copies of the books detailing all the finds:

1. Joachim Harnecker, Kalkriese 4. Katalog der römischen Funde vom Oberesch. Die Schnitte 1–22, Römisch-Germanische Forschungen 66, Mainz 2008.
  2. Joachim Harnecker, Kalkriese 5. Katalog der römischen Funde vom Oberesch. Die Schnitte 23-39, Römisch-Germanische Forschungen 69, Mainz 2011.
However buying these books at 40euros each is way over the top given, I only need a summary table of find type and number.

Please does anyone know a simple way to get the required information?
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
Have you tried asking the museum?

http://www.kalkriese-varusschlacht.de/en...kalkriese/
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(09-06-2016, 05:45 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Have you tried asking the museum?

http://www.kalkriese-varusschlacht.de/en...kalkriese/

Thanks, yes I contacted the museum, and it was they who suggested I purchase the books. The best I've found on the finds is this paper: http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.ph...le/226/228

This lists the various different types of artefacts, but for example, there was only one sling shot found out of 1500 artefacts.

The reason I ask here, is that there's been several other discussions in which people appear to have detailed knowledge so it seems likely they either have the books or have access.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
(09-06-2016, 12:32 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: I am trying to compile a guide to the types of artefacts that are "normally" found on Roman battle sites and whilst I can find many articles listing the various articles that can and have been found, I'm struggling to find anything that gives the prevalence of Roman Battlefield finds by type.
You might have better luck with the Harzhorn site, which has a mass of freely available information online here.

Attached Files
.pdf   Harzhorn-Ereignis_Schussbahnen_Artefakte.pdf (Size: 380.66 KB / Downloads: 15)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Jo Ball in her Ph.D. thesis discusses in some detail the artefacts at Roman battle sites and includes tables of type, number and percentage for Kalkriese and Harzhorn.

Collecting the Field: A Methodological Reassessment of Greek and Roman Battlefield Archaeology

You would need to contact her, probably via academia.edu, for a copy of the thesis.

Regards, Steve Kaye
(09-08-2016, 08:39 AM)Steve Kaye Wrote: Jo Ball in her Ph.D. thesis discusses in some detail the artefacts at Roman battle sites and includes tables of type, number and percentage for Kalkriese and Harzhorn.

Collecting the Field: A Methodological Reassessment of Greek and Roman Battlefield Archaeology

You would need to contact her, probably via academia.edu, for a copy of the thesis.

Regards, Steve Kaye

Thanks, that's a really useful piece of information. I remember Jo from a Liverpool seminar and she was most helpful.
I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I just discovered that Oxford University Press are working on The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of Roman Germany (eds. Simon James and Stefan Krmnicek).

Gunther Moosbauer's chapter on "Roman Battlefields in Germany: Kalkriese and Harzhorn" is online. I have attached his Fig. 1 (Kalkriese) and Fig. 5 (Harzhorn).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
(12-28-2016, 06:16 PM)D B Campbell Wrote: Oxford University Press are working on The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of Roman Germany

Thanks! That looks rather interesting - I just wish it had been available about a year ago...
Nathan Ross
(09-06-2016, 12:32 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: I am trying to compile a guide to the types of artefacts that are "normally" found on Roman battle sites and whilst I can find many articles listing the various articles that can and have been found, I'm struggling to find anything that gives the prevalence of Roman Battlefield finds by type.

I have finally tracked down what appears to be the best source which is at Kalkriese (the Varus battle?). I have searched extensively online and whilst many papers list various objects found, none list their number. So, my final option is to obtain copies of the books detailing all the finds:

1. Joachim Harnecker, Kalkriese 4. Katalog der römischen Funde vom Oberesch. Die Schnitte 1–22, Römisch-Germanische Forschungen 66, Mainz 2008.
  2. Joachim Harnecker, Kalkriese 5. Katalog der römischen Funde vom Oberesch. Die Schnitte 23-39, Römisch-Germanische Forschungen 69, Mainz 2011.
However buying these books at 40euros each is way over the top given, I only need a summary table of find type and number.

Hi,

If you are considering compiling information for a book or (for instance) a magazine article in AW you can put that information on the "FUND ME" website and perhaps be able to obtain the two books you need.

William Fleenor
(01-02-2017, 06:00 PM)William C. Fleenor Wrote:

Hi,

If you are considering compiling information for a book or (for instance) a magazine article in AW you can put that information on the "FUND ME" website and perhaps be able to obtain the two books you need.

William Fleenor
William, I obviously missed the original notification but wanted to say a belated thanks for the idea.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kalkriese the Battle of the Angrivarii Wall ? Tom 21 6,778 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Kalkriese type helmet image Dave G 2 1,997 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Dave G
  Original Kalkriese type mask on ebay? Dave G 11 3,486 05-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar