Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite imagery and Varus\'s battle
This fellow I was talking to this week about the pilum punctured skeleton also mentioned that satellite imagery had pinpointed a roman fort in the Varus battle area. This too was new to me, and I wonder if anyone has seen any such imagery. Apparetently it's only visible by satellite? <p>Richard<br>
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Haven't seen anything like that, but I have just had a tour there and our guide told us that at the moment there are two digs going on in the general area that may point out as many marching camps. That would be sensational, camps so far north in Germany!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hello,<br>
<br>
Large scale works in consistant use or the use of altering landscape permanently leave a nice imprint on sat imagery. Many ancient roads have been discovered that way as well as a fabled ancient Arabian city and many other things. The name escapes me. But the Romans made it all the way deep into Denmark at one point...wouldn't be suprised if any roman digs in that area uncover marching camps. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kalkriese is not the Varus battle site ? raeticus 61 16,358 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna
  Late Roman Britain imagery Andrew Brozyna 3 1,276 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Conal