Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
etruscan sword chape
well this one it is not properly greek but anyway it is related to my project of an italic xiphos for my etruscan hoplite kit,

in the connolly book, greece and rome at war, at page 98, there is a little sketch of a sword chape that should be in the roman central museum in Mainz,

i don't know if Connolly can be taken as a reliable source, but by any chance, there is someone that can provide some more details of the sword chape in question?

my research on internet has been a failure

thanks
gabriele becattini
(09-08-2016, 02:33 PM)Velites77 Wrote: well this one it is not properly greek but anyway it is related to my project of an italic xiphos for my etruscan hoplite kit,

in the connolly book, greece and rome at war, at page 98, there is a little sketch of a sword chape that should be in the roman central museum in Mainz,

i don't know if Connolly can be taken as a reliable source, but by any chance, there is someone that can provide some more details of the sword chape in question?

my research on internet has been a failure

thanks

It comes under the heading of Ager Faliscus in " Zur Eisenzeitlichen Bewaffenung und Kampfesweise in Mittalitalien by P.F.Stary. 1981.
The actual sword+chape appears to be from: Capena, San Martin grave 41, dated to the 6th century and is illustrated with a thumbnail drawing but quite recognisable, the original literature is in: Mon.Ant.16. 1906 which I assume is a journal.... unfortunatly I cant help further as I cant find any reference to what "Mon.Ant" means...

Belay that its "Monumenti Antichi" vol 16 page 403(64) fig 27 here:

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/...i_lang=eng
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
thank you very much, unfortunately the link doesen't work... i have tried without success to find something about capena and the san martino necropolis, but no pictures of the sword
gabriele becattini
(09-08-2016, 07:34 PM)Velites77 Wrote: thank you very much, unfortunately the link doesen't work... i have tried without success to find  something about capena and the san martino necropolis, but no pictures of the  sword

Ive updated the link the rest still applies, scrol down the page for the articles and click on the pdf for:

277-490 Paribeni, Roberto: Necropoli del territorio Capenate [Image: pdf.png]

Hope you get it this time, the only other thing I can suggest is too do a search for "Monumenti Antichi" vol 16 1906 thats how I found the digital copy above.... or try this link:

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/sammlun...titel.html
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
thank you very much, i have found the drawing!
gabriele becattini