Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plague - The Destroyer of Empires
Well Adrianople was also an ERE battle. Adrianoples significance seems incredibly overstated. It didn't make the decline of heavy infantry, nor did it show the world that barbarians could defeat an Imperial army. Rome has had dozens of defeats at the hands of barbarians, as bad, or worse than it. In the end war comes down to economics.

It was one of of the largest amphibious operates ever conducted pre-Normandy, and had it succeeded, with North Africa back in Roman Hands, I think there'd be huge repercussions as far as timelines and how the 5th-6th century would play out. I've always viewed the loss of North Africa as really the blow which they couldn't recover from. Hell, Sicily alone. North Africa was one of the richest provinces, if not the richest, in West Europe. Once the major artery was cut, things really fell apart very, very quickly.

I don't see the WRE going out with such a whimper if it had maintained control, or even re-gained control, of such crucial territory. Carthage was almost as important, if not more so, than Rome itself. It's what made Rome an empire after all, since North Africa exported such a large amount of wealth, food, and manpower.
Christopher Vidrine, 30

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Map of Ancient Empires Lepidina 3 1,800 10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Last Post: rkmvca1