Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy?
I'm off for a wonderful two week vacation In Rome, Italy starting the last week of September. The wife and I have a lot planned. We've done a lot of research, but we still have a few questions. If anyone is familiar with the area I would be most gracious if you could help answer some of these questions.

1.) The wife and I like to walk, and we're going to walk the via Appia Antica on a Sunday. They say cars do not drive on the Via Appia Antica on Sundays, but I've heard otherwise. Looking at google Earth there is a good chunk of it that the street has a wall on both sides. That looks extremely dangerous to walk especially if cars are going to be driving on it. Is there another way to get to the scenic part of it; aka a better route?

2.) A shop were I can buy Roman clothing i.e Tunics, Belts, Caligae, etc.

3.) I believe there is a museum in Rome that has replica plates of Trajan's column. Anyone familiar with that particular museum?

4.) Restaurants advice would be sweet as well. 

Thanks!
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

(08-20-2016, 02:33 AM)Hasdrubal Wrote: I'm off for a wonderful two week vacation In Rome, Italy starting the last week of September. The wife and I have a lot planned. We've done a lot of research, but we still have a few questions. If anyone is familiar with the area I would be most gracious if you could help answer some of these questions.

1.) The wife and I like to walk, and we're going to walk the via Appia Antica on a Sunday. They say cars do not drive on the Via Appia Antica on Sundays, but I've heard otherwise. Looking at google Earth there is a good chunk of it that the street has a wall on both sides. That looks extremely dangerous to walk especially if cars are going to be driving on it. Is there another way to get to the scenic part of it; aka a better route?

3.) I believe there is a museum in Rome that has replica plates of Trajan's column. Anyone familiar with that particular museum?

Thanks!

1. cant help with that...

2. I do believe there is one as its been mentioned on the forum but unfortunatly I know not where it is...

3. I do believe this is in The Museo della Civiltà Romana http://en.museociviltaromana.it/collezio...otografica and much more, a bit of a dusty edifice but worth a look.

4. no such thing as a bad restaurant in rome in my experience and theres plenty of them, as the Romans enjoy eating out with family and friends particularly in the evening, ice cream cafes are also popular and some would say the best.

Try The Rough guide I found it very useful: http://www.roughguides.com/shop/rough-guide-rome/

Also The Vatican museum is worth a look but be prepared to spend the day so take a lunch...
And the Capitoline Museum houses the Dying Gaul again worth a look...

Last but not least Italians are helpfull and friendly in my experience and love to talk... so dont be afraid to ask.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(08-20-2016, 02:33 AM)Hasdrubal Wrote: I'm off for a wonderful two week vacation In Rome, Italy (...)

Have fun there. A wonderfull city with nice things to see. Don't forget to give Ostia antica a visit as well. (easily accessible by train)

As for your second question: Don't buy any items in Rome, especially not in tourist shops.
There is an interesting store just around the corner from Trajan Column (go up the stairs en turn to the left. It is in the corner of the street.),
but you will most likely OVERPAY AND can have quality issues (good and bad stuff is all sold there together, so you need to know what to look for).

i.e. start looking around for online buys of equipment en ask help from this forum for instance. Way more worth of your money and saves you from having to replace items in the end.

Again, have fun there. It's a lovely city.

My favourite restaurant is the following little place, but there are many more nice ones:
Ristorante Il Ponentino, Piazza del Drago, 10, 00153 Roma, Italië. Just around the corner from the Tiber on a small, quiet square.
ALA I BATAVORUM
(08-20-2016, 02:33 AM)Hasdrubal Wrote: 1.) The wife and I like to walk, and we're going to walk the via Appia Antica on a Sunday... Is there another way to get to the scenic part of it; aka a better route?

You can walk to the Via Appia from central Rome - start at the Circus Maximus and head south-east past the Baths of Caracalla (worth a look) and on down the narrower paved street (actually the Via Appia itself) to the Porta San Sebastian (very good - and free!). Through the gate, cross the main road and keep going - it's about a 25 minute walk.

The road is in use all the way to the Catacombs of San Callisto, and past the Domine Quo Vadis church part of the way runs between high walls and is a bit hairy with traffic. But people walk this route all the time, and Roman drivers are pretty good at not killing people, despite appearances to the contrary!

However, if you don't fancy that - go to Piramide metro station and you'll find a bus station right outside. Get on the 118 bus (it says 'Via Appia' on the front and goes every half hour or so) and it'll take you right down to the 'restored' bit of the Via Appia by a less interesting route. Make sure you get off the bus at the Catacombs of San Callisto (you'll probably see a large crowd there waiting to board). Don't stay on the bus, or you'll be taken on a thrilling tour of Rome's blander suburbs and then returned to where you started...

The main section of the Via Appia starts at the Catacombs, and you can continue from there on traffic-free Roman paving all the way to the Villa Quintilli, several miles on. If you manage to exit the villa by the Via Appia Nova side there's supposedly a bus (660?) that will take you back into central Rome, but I've never tried that option!
Nathan Ross
(08-20-2016, 02:33 AM)Hasdrubal Wrote: 2.) A shop were I can buy Roman clothing i.e Tunics, Belts, Caligae, etc.

Thanks!

2. There are a couple of shops that sell overpriced "Roman" equipment, one of them is on via Quattro Novembre (close to Piazza Venezia and Trajan's column), but I do think they have much worth buying

3. It's the Museo della Civilità Romana, in EUR zone, but it has been closed for renovation for the last year

4. If you are in Trastevere area I suggest Bir & Fud, via Benedetta 23

Enjoy your stay!
---
Salvatore Falco

vel

Furius Togius Claudius Quintillus
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010431916603
I thank you all for the responses. Very helpful. I am very disappointed about the museum closing, but it is what it is. I'm staying in the No 9 Colosseo right across from the Coliseum for 2 weeks. We got the egg room.

I was told to check out the museum in Naples as it was one of the best. We're also going to check out Herculaneum the same day. Looks like you can walk from the train station to the museum. Anyone familiar with the eatery's around the area and if so any recommendations?

Once again thanks for the responses! You guys have been extremely helpful.

ETA: JVR we're checking out Ostia Antica on our 2nd week. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Hi you will enjoy Rome we sure did this at the beginning of the year. We were there only couple of days but we plan to go back for Easter. Walking is good in Rome. What we did and it was great it was to buy a Rome Pass. Has some advantages first of and bigger of all is that you will not do the long lines at Coliseum and Vatican (we had no time to visit the Vatican). Second would be to have Data Network on your mobile and use the Google maps function for public transportation, worked very well for us we were able to find a bus, bus station jump off and on from the bus, metro or whatever. Third on map the distances look somehow longer as they really are so use your feet but remember there are a lot of paved roads and they can cause some walking problems so use solid footgear (but not caligae otherwise you will slip and fall)

1. The walk is OK between the walls but you can do as Nathan is suggesting as well, as we did too.
2. Better order in internet, I saw couple of overated Deepeeka or fantasy equipment around so DON'T buy there better buy some books and keep money for real stuff.
3. Pity that the Museo della Civilità Romana is closed, I saw the casts 20 years ago or so in Bucharest Romania, but although no casts the Column is impressive, I would suggest you to take an binocular with you, or better 2 so you don't quarrel with your wife Smile
4.If you go from your address towards the metro station on the corner with the via Nicola Salvi you will find a nice small café and bistro, they have a very good cook and some nice wine. On the other side although we didn't care in which restaurant we got in the food was ALWAYS great as was the service ant the wine.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to share with us your experience

here is the restaurant I spoke of:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8915183,...56!6m1!1e1
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thanks for your reply Gunthamund. We leave in 15 more days. I'm so excited.