Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germany, Teuterberger Forrest 9 ad INFO PLZ !!
Salve, I'm currently working on a story taking place in ancient Rome (about 8 ad and up until 30 years later) and want to incorporate the disaster is my story can annyone give me some info about Varus (personal info like family perhaps) who where his officers and how mutch it affected the population of the empire from what I understand the effect on Roman moral was about the same as the destruction of the twin towers was to New York but I'm not sure so if annyone can give me some more info I'n appreciate it.<br>
<br>
thx in advance, <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The prime site of interest would be Clades Variana site by Tim O'Neill/Thiudareiks Flavius and its discussion board. On his site he has collected the translations of the main references in the extant sources to this disastrous defeat.<br>
<br>
The defeat shocked Augustus enough to (temporarily) remove his mainly Germanic body guards from the city and resulted in a massive recruitment effort to make up for the losses incurred.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 12/12/01 4:08:39 pm<br></i>
Hello,<br>
<br>
Understatement about the loss of 3 legions and its effect on the Roman people. Look at Augustus..not everyday you see an Emperor of a vast empire crying through the night on a typical basis yelling "Varus give me back my legions!" <p></p><i></i>