Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(09-19-2016, 04:41 AM)Dan Howard Wrote:
Quote:Certainly I think everyone realises that leather needs to be much thicker to provide a similar level of protection, but not necessarily heavier, as both the calculated estimate of Crispianus

His calculated estimate is only for 8mm, which is half the thickness you need to provide similar protection to 1mm bronze plate. So a spolas needs to weigh closer to 15-16 lbs to provide similar protection to a 8-9 lb bronze cuirass (assuming two layers on the front only). The 15 pound bronze cuirasses are over 1.5mm, which would require 4 thicknesses of leather for equivalent protection, bringing its weight over 20 lbs.

Not necesarily It doesnt mean such armour has to be the same thickness all over, only thicker at the shoulder, front and right side, you can thin other areas to compensate to some extent, neither have I suggested that such armour would be as effective as bronze or iron, the requirement is only that it provides some protection at an exceptable cost in affordability, weight, manouverability and stamina, armour is generally a trade off.. as I'm sure your aware... the shield, helmet and greaves would be the primary defence against most attacks in phalanx warfare I would think.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Crispianus - 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno